Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new to reloading
 Login/Join

posted
hey guys i am new to reloading and need some help i am reloading for a 300 wsm its a lee reloading press i just got in my die set and have every thing set up but when i got my die set it gave me a load data sheet to go off and i don't see the powder i have on there i was given several pounds of imr 4895 and imr 4831 i don't know how much powder to use im using hornady 165gr SST with Winchester brass and cci 250 large rifle mag primers any help ? thanks in advance

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: 17 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i assume that since you are trying to use the data from the dies you do not have a loading manual? before you do anything else i would advise you to go out and purchase yourself a loading manual. the lyman 49th would be a good place to start. read that and then proceed. also just because you have some powder doesn't mean that it is suitable to use in that cartridge. i don't reload for 300wsm and do not have a load manual handy. i also do not use either of the powders you have listed so i don't know if they are suited for your needs but you definatly need to get some more info. there is a little more to it than just putting powder in the case and seating a bullet.

tell us a little more about you setup. do you have a scale to accompany the press and dies?

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a couple of manuals and read them. Refer to the data in one and compare it to the other to double check it.

Also there is data online.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Like Craigster said lots of data on Hodgdon's site.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a resource that I am using quite a bit right now is www.IMRpowder.com, and go to the Reloading Data Center.

Death Smiles at us all, Navy Corpsman laugh back.
Raised in the Mountains of Colorado.

Posts: 51 | Location: Jacksonville, NC | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stop!! Do not pass GO and collect $200!!! Quit trying to go on the cheap and get yourself several load manuals. One that I'd recommend to start with is the Sierra manual then, after a bit of experience, get a number of the others.
I'd also recommend you begin with the "Accurate" powder and powder charge in the bullet weight you wish to shoot. It may not be the most accurate load for you but should give you a baseline to work from.
Good luck & enjoy.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"...get a reload book and read it..."

+3 (or 4 or however many)

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does,nt hurt to do a bunch of research prior to reloading. Lee reloading manual, second edition. Fairly inexpensive, goes into some detail about the reloading process. Barnes, Nosler, Hornady, and Norma manuals.
You don,t have to get all of them, if you plan to start with Hornady bullets, they have the IMR 4831 load data, with a starting load, and a max load.
Why the extra manuals? A bit of cross referencing, but more to fill in the gaps when questions pop up. Lets you see things from different angles, so to speak.
Consider one manual cheap insurance. Twenty or thirty bucks is a lot cheaper than a trip to the emergency room.
Hornady reloading DVD. Entertaining in an odd sort of way.. Lets you see a bit of whats going on.
Somebody that has been reloading for a while without hurting himself or somebody else in the process. When I was starting to learn this reloading thing, every once in a while I would find myself going to talk to a few cats that had been doin it a lot longer than I have..
If something looks off, or I,ve got questions about some ammo I,ve just loaded, or the fired cases look different than what I,m used to, that is a great time stop what I,m doing, and go ask some questions.
Start with a baseline, one brand of brass, one brand and type of primer, one particular type of bullet, one powder. That,ll let you see variables as you go along, starting at the starting load, and working your way up..

Long winded way of sayin its fairly simple to follow a recipe and get good results, flyin blind maybe not so much..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mattcarp1121:
hey guys i am new to reloading and need some help i am reloading for a 300 wsm its a lee reloading press i just got in my die set and have every thing set up but when i got my die set it gave me a load data sheet to go off and i don't see the powder i have on there i was given several pounds of imr 4895 and imr 4831 i don't know how much powder to use im using hornady 165gr SST with Winchester brass and cci 250 large rifle mag primers any help ? thanks in advance

Matt,
As you can see from the responses, you have come to the right place. I have been reloading for nearly 50 years and I still cruise this website to learn and sometimes offer a bit of advice. Welcome to AR. Now go out and buy a couple of reloading manuals, read the "How to" section of each and have fun. And don't forget to come back with any questions. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Punctuation helps. If what you write is work to understand we might not want to answer.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote