Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Gun shows suck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Russell:

Forgive my oversight. I try to never let a person's sacrifice for our country go unnoticed. Thank you for your contributions in Iraq. I looked at your profile. Cool hobbies!

Paul

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have attended the Houston Gun Collector's Association gun shows since the late 1970's. With over 2000-2200 tables at a show, it would take literally all day to properly walk the entire AstroHall. But today, sadly, the gun shows of today are nothing like the gun shows of the heydays when the oil patch was king and there was plenty of $$$$ to buy firearms in our economy.
When I started attending the HGCA gun shows, they were only twice a year. Folks like me would save up for 6 months to see what treasures we could not do without buying at the show. Prices were reasonable and there was an astonishing array of items. Nowadays, there are probably 3-4 gunshows A MONTH in the Houston area. Folks don't get all worked up with anticipation anymore.
Where our shows used to be 75% private individuals selling personal items and 25% being dealers has now reversed. So, we now have a ton of new stuff, but not near enough antique and "previously owned" firearms for collectors.
The internet has certainly had an economic impact on gunshows as well. One need not pay $7 for parking (which is out of the control of the gun club as that is Reliant parking) and $6 for admission. On the other hand, however, let me say that there is no assurance like holding a firearm in your hands rather than looking at digital pictures to see if it is in the condition you desire.
The camaradarie and knowledge of the folks at the gun shows are also not there, although I hold the accuratereloading forum in high esteem for the knowledge and contacts I have made through this forum.
Concerning carry guns at gun shows etc. the Houston Gun Collector's gun show does not allow ANY LIVE AMMO at our gun shows and for obvious reasons. What is interesting is that EVERY and I mean EVERY accidental discharge I have witnessed at our show has been CARRY WEAPONS brought in by dealers/table holders who were either trying to empty their weapon under the table since they knew they were in violation and were too lazy to take the loaded firearm out to in the parking lot to their cars or had an unwitting co-worker pick up the "unloaded" pistol and try the trigger pull.
Let me tell you, it is not laws and legislature that you need fear to shut down gun shows- it is the almost unobtainable and obscenely priced cost of INSURANCE that will drive gun shows away.
Having said all that, however, allow me to brag that the Houston Gun Collector's Association is hosting the 9th Annual NRA National Gun Collectors Show and Conference November 13 & 14th at the Reliant Hall in Houston. Info can be found at: www.hgca.org. This is a very much quality show and we anticipate having 2000 tables and great displays from NRA collectors from around the country.
Best thing we can do is take our young ones to gun shows as well. Our education system is teaching them (socializing) that firearms are bad and we need to show them that firearms are historical and works of art and beauty, besides the utility of using them for hunting or defense.
Sorry for the rambling, but I still enjoy going to gun shows even if I do not find what I look for, but occassionally I am very much surprised with what I do find!
Joe
in Houston
Always looking for BSA Lee Speed commercial rifles

Posts: 132 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Right on, clark. Puyallup is also a fine place to find a really nice, used but not abused, little M94 "eastern carbine" in 25-35 for $400 as I did last fall.

I have even more fun with the various older rifles I find for about $200, more or less, including various Remington pumps and semi-autos...or the Remington Model 725 in 244 I picked up for $305...or the Winchester National Match .30-06 for under $1 Large.

The secret to gun shows is knowing the product. No one can recognize a bargain at a gun show until they learn what was made and what wasn't, what sold and what didn't, what is rare and what isn't, what will perform and what won't. Like someone else said, the greatest bargain at gun shows is knowledge. There is no way to get it but to attend regularly and invest your time for a number of years. Like everything else in life, the worthwhile info ain't free. But unless you live your life just for money (in which case I will always consider such a person "poor"), knowledge is certainly worth the investment.

And, where can you have more fun for $5 than talking and learning about guns?

Alberta Canuck

BTW...no one will get into our local gun shows with a loaded gun either. It has nothing to do with maturity or rights. It has to do with common sense. I know two people who have been shot at gun shows within the last two years, and have very nearly been shot myself twice over the last 20 years (in gun stores, which are suppossedly under somewhat tighter control). As the old saying goes, there are two kinds of gun handlers...those who have had an AD, and those who are going to. Best they not occur in a hall full of innocent bystanders.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote