Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Crimping question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
Crimp the cartridge where the bullet sticks out enough but not so far as to stop the cylinder from rotating. Be careful not to create a compressed load unless the reloading manual calls for it. A compressed load can increase the pressure in the cylinder and cause an over pressure load. In plain English it could blow up your gun. I do not use swaged lead bullets anymore they lead up my gun to much. If you want to shoot lead bullets I would suggest getting some of the hard cast lead bullets there are several companies specializing in them.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the whole cross-hatched section goes in the case, then the COL is nowhere near the length they list. Can you crimp into the cross-hatched section?

Posts: 76 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swaged bullets are formed by pressing a piece of lead into a die, not by pouring molten lead into a mold. Since they are formed simply be pressure, swaged bullets are usually made from very soft pure lead; it's easier to press into shape. Since the resulting bullets are soft, if you try to load them at middle to high pressures they lead. If you use low pressure "plinking" or "cowboy" loads, then they work well. Less than maximum loads of Unique or W231 usually work well with swaged bullets for most pistol cartridges.

A hard cast bullet like Oregon Trails "Laser Cast" can actually lead worse in low pressure loads if they don't fit the bore just right - the low pressure isn't enough to get them to form to the bore (obturate) properly so if they don't fit exactly right you'll get gas blow-by resulting in leading of the bore. These hard cast bullets usually work better in "full-power" loads which would cause the swaged bullets to lead badly from too much pressure smearing the lead into the barrel.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes,
All of the cross hatched section goes in your case and you crimp over the front of that. The smooth part (the nose) of the bullet sticks out. You should be able to see a little "step" where the two sections meet.
JCN
Try 6.5 - 7.0 grains of VihtaVouri N-340
850 fps is plenty

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is a swaged bullet? Why would it cause more leading than a cast bullet? What would be a good brand choice of cast bullet for plinking and practice? I've seen laser cast brand in the local store- any good? Can they be loaded the same as the swaged bullets?

Posts: 76 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote