Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for my first press
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted
I am looking for a reloading press or starter kit. I shot mostly 9mmx18, .357 mag., .45 ACP, 7mm-08, and coming soon .375 H&H. Can one Press do everything? I have friends and family with Lee, RCBS, and Lyman Presses. All say that they lover their presses and would not trade, and all say theirs is best for the money. Cost and reliability are issues. Any suggestions from the group?

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Hj
It depends on what volume of what caliber you intend to reload.
If you shoot large volumes of pistol and regular sized rifle rounds,you might consider a turret Press such as the Redding T7 or even a Dillon 550 .
You don't have nearly as much die setup time involved , very convenient setup.
I have a T7 and am impressed with its quality.
That being said, I mainly load .223,.243,308,30-06 and a few pistol calibers, rather mundane stuff .

If you form wildcats, shoot a lot of large caliber magnum rounds etc, you may need a something a little stouter.
The Forster CoAX is outstanding but expensive and can conflict with some seating dies.
Redding Ultra Mag is tough also.
If your looking for a cost effective single stage ,it's hard to beat an RCBS Rockchucker.
I used it's little brother the Reloader Special for over 20 years and it still works like new.Rockchucker is even tougher. JMO

I'm sure there's plenty of Lyman and Lee fans out there to comment on their products, I just don't have any experience with them.

Good luck

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the major manufacturers make good presses. The turret presses have the advantage that more than one die can be set up. I find I occasionaly have to go back some steps as, when I find a small fracture in a case or something. It's nice not to have to remove and then reinsert/readjust the die I was working with. One thing you may want to consider is warranty service. RCBS is the industry standard when it comes to warranty service and customer support. I have heard some criticism of the cheaper Lee presses as far as long term service. Most of the quality presses last for decades.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still use my 29 year old RCBS Rockchucker. I have others too but I don't think you can start off better for the money.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This topic is periodically rehashed on this forum.
I am ecstatic that real knowledgeable men responded to this post this time around.
You just can't beat the Rockchucker.
Usually everyone wants to sell you the latest and greatest machine but you need to ask yourself if you really need all the bells and whistles.
As far as turret presses go, you still have to screw in 2 or 3 dies everytime you load and unscrew them at the end.
I would stay away from the RCBS-type of Turret Press, or any that have only one bolt in the middle to keep the dies aligned, because it will loosen up and your dies will tip back and forth like a teeter-totter.
Redding makes the only turret press that works because it has a stabilizer rest at the rear to keep it from rocking.
However, for the volume you do, I cannot see you needing a turret press.
Stick with a nice single stage like the Rockchucker or JR.
and you will be fine.

www.cliffsgunsmithing.com

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used my Rockchucker since 1973. It does everything I have ever asked it to do and does it well. However, if I were to think about loading some of the longer calibers, like the .375 H&H, I think I would get one of the new Lee Cast Iron Classics. It will handle longer cartridges and it cost less than half as much as a new Rockchucker.

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Paul
I don�t shout my handguns as much as I use to, no time. I mainly am looking to lode for my two hunting rifles. (7mm-08, and 375 H&H). Size is not an issue for the 7mm-08, however the 375 is another story. I am planning to work up lodes for the 350 gr. Bullet, thus I will need a �big Press.� E-bay has Lee Cast Iron Classics starting for $50 from Lee. And RCBS goes for much more. What would be the most economical Press to get in that would fit my reloading needs? Thanks to all for your input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When you mentioned a beginner's kit I think of the Lee. I started with one several years ago as a budget-friendly way to get involved in the hobby. I wasn't sure how much I wanted to devote in time and money to it.

Since then I realize that it is well worth the time, etc., and bought an RCBS turret press for most of my handloading needs , but the Lee still gets used now and then for handgun loads.

What the Lee allowed me to do at a time when the budget was tight was to get started inexpensively and afford me the chance to learn. Not everyone loads with the same tools and accessories and it will take some hands-on time to find out what is right for you. Figure on spending perhaps $200 over a relatively short period of time on calipers, case trimming tools, primer pocket cleaners, etc. to the cost of the press kit. Now figure your total budget, etc.

The RCBS turret press, BTW, has a removable die disc and I have extras. Simply remove the disc with one set of dies and replace with another disc of other dies already screwed in. Takes ten seconds.

Have fun!

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I still use my 29 year old RCBS Rockchucker. I have others too but I don't think you can start off better for the money.......DJ

I agree with DJ on the RCBS Rockchucker, but check on the supreme it will handle bigger cartridges. I believe that RCBS has a lifetime warranty while Lee is only 2 years.

Before you buy a reloading press get a good reloading manual such as one by Lyman that explains the process, and when you have read it and understand the basics then get a press.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the lee cast classic and it is great, I like it better than the rockchunker or others, It is huge and strong, and easy to use, I use the hornady lock and load bushings with it and have no need for a turret

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Bob
The Redding has replaceable turret heads also, it's a little slower to swap than the RCBS, it takes mebbe 15 seconds to swap , I haven't set up a die in 2 years.

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rockchucker is a good press and I used one for 20 years.
However, the Rockchucker is too short to easily load the longer rounds. I replaced mine with a Redding Ultramag and have never looked back. Great strong press that gives you a lot of room for all the calibers.
I highly recommend the Redding Ultramag.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have used my Rockchucker since 1973. It does everything I have ever asked it to do and does it well. However, if I were to think about loading some of the longer calibers, like the .375 H&H, I think I would get one of the new Lee Cast Iron Classics. It will handle longer cartridges and it cost less than half as much as a new Rockchucker.

I thought the Rockchucker would handle anything up to and including the 375 H&H- is this inaccurate?

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Getting a good reloading book, reading it, then getting a press is a very good idea. I�m sure that my wife would prefer to not blow myself up because I �went off half cocked!� I�ll look for the Lyman book on Amazon.com as I continue to shop for a pres. thanks for all the input Guys It is helping.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I strongly suggest the rockchucker supreme kit. It has everything you need and it is built to last and handle everything you feed it. I started out with an old, well used rockchucker, and that served me very well, and when I saw the supreme I decided it was time to try a new one. I absolutely love it and feel it is the best for the money. Also, the customer service at RCBS can't be beat. I am still amazed at how helpful they are.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
The Speer Book is not my favorite for data, but has outstanding basic reloading instructions.
The data is ok, but I don't shoot many Speer bullets.

Covey16

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Hauptjager,

The Lee Aniversary Reloading Kit is a great kit for newbie reloaders. The Kit contains everything you would need except for dies. It has a good "how-to" book w/ alot of load data also. You can find one of these kits for 65-80 bucks at Bass Pro etc.

You can get the Lee dies for 8 to 20 bucks.

You would also need the trimmer pilots for the cals you intend to reload (about 4 bucks).

I believe it is a great kit for a great price. It would be all one would need to really learn the ropes of reloading and it would most likely last for a lifetime.

Once you really learn the ropes then you can buy the deluxe loaders from the other manufacturers but, I bet they aren't any more accurate than that cheap ole' Lee.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Speer book alot while reloading.
I do however use Speer bullets, but many of their loads will work with other bullets, for example a 150 gr spitzer from Speer is not all that different from a Hornady or Sierra etc.

www.cliffsgunsmithing.com

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the Speer book at all, I own 2 of them,just prefer Sierra and Nosler as that's what I use plus Sierra's customer service folks have been helpful and courteous regarding my dumb questions.
Speer tends to run to the conservative side , which is another good aspect for beginners.
They all have their plus and minus.
Speer just has a superior basic reloading section IMO.

Covey16

one of us
posted Hide Post
covey16..

Good grief, my man... 15 seconds to replace discs ?
Bet you got the itch to upgrade !

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
belaw,

I didn't say the Rock Chucker wouldn't handle the .375 H&H, I meant I would prefer more room the Classic gives.

HJ,

$50 is about the price new for the Classic at Midway. Of course, there is shipping to consider, but you don't have to pay sales tax and it's delivered to your door.

Get a good set of beam scales, like RCBS 505 or something comparable and a set of dies and get to work.

Use a factory load to set the dies with and add the other bells and whistles later. If you don't get Lee dies with a powder dipper included, use a spoon or something to transfer powder to the scale. The scale won't object to you using a low budget approach. There are a lot of times that I don't set up my powder measure for rifle loads and use a dipper instead.

Get a load manual from the powder companies that are free at most gun shops. IMR and Hodgdon are pretty common and you won't blow your head off if you follow their loads.

I wouldn't trust an affordable electronic scale as far as I can throw a bull, using his tail as a handle! If they could be practically mounted on a separate stand with vibration dampening and a good enclosure, it might be a different story. I have worked with enough precision analytical balances to know a lack of precision and reproducibility when I see it.

It's just my $.02, take it or leave it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to start a big controversy but I don't care for most Lee Products. Typically they are well designed but cheaply made. They will work for a while but I have worn several of their tools out due to the poor quality of materials they use.
Spend a little bit more for a Rock-chucker supreme and it will last a lifetime. Poor Quality is poorer economy........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older Rock chucker master kit and I load from .22 hornet through to .585 nyati on it so it will hadle most stuff this side of the .50 BMG.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Bob
I know.
It's embarrassing.
I'm trying to adapt a computer controlled electrohydraulic tool selector from a CNC machine to speed up the process,
Until I get it perfected, I'll just have to limp along.

Covey16

one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, the rockchucker supreme kit that is made to last forever and will handle ANY cartridge with ease. It is bigger than the old rockchucker, and if you buy the kit you get pretty much everything you need, and all the stuff is good. Why buy something if you are just going to replace it later? I feel if you buy the LEE kit you will do just that. Go to cabelas.com and see all the things you get with the supreme kit and you will know where the money is going. You are going to get a good scale, a good powder measure, trimmer etc. etc. Not much money in the long run.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When I first started I bought a used RCBS Reloader Special and then a few months ago I upgraded to a new RockChucker Supreme. I like both presses and agree with the other who say RCBS is generally better than Lee.

Having said that, last week I saw and got to handle the new Lee Cast Classic as they have no long been available in the UK.

I believe Lee is onto a real winner here. The cast iron and steel construction seem to be equally good as RCBS, but the Lee had certain features I actually prefered. For a start, it has a third mounting hole at the back of the press which spreads the "footprint" of the press over your bench..I really like this and don't understand why the other major company's haven't done it. Secondly, the spent primers are desposed of down through the ram, and out of a plastic tube underneath...this can be fed directly into a bin or what have you...Thirdly is the price...for $50, what do you have to lose? If in the future, once you have learnt the basics, you move onto a turret or progressive press, it is always handy to have a single stage press set up for odd jobs and at that price its no big deal.

Edited to add: I would also say that the Cast Classic is a decent size...although I could not compare it directly, I think its nearly as big as the RC Supreme and therefore slightlty biiger than the old RC..

In summary, I would buy the Lee and then buy the other major items from RCBS, Lyman or Redding...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a bad idea Pete. Jager, just make sure you are saving money if you plan on not buying the kit and buy seperately instead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at and played with 4-5 single stage presses and the LEE Classic was the best, over RCBS, Redding, Lymond, and a cheaper LEE, The Classic is nothing like the other lee presses. Bigger smoother and with features the others do not have.

My start up kit features the lee Classic press

Redding trimer and case care kit

Redding dies

RCBS 505 scale

Hornady bench rest powder measure

and several other tools from these and others

I wanted the best not the cheapest. The lee Classic is a solid tool do not knock it untill you try it

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
PPosey and all,
Thanks so much for the input. It seems that there is a very fine line between saving money in the long run and just being cheep. Perhaps the �best� thing to do is like what I think PPosey is getting at, find good quality tools slowly over time if money is a issue, and meanwhile do some reading of the reloading manuals as others have stated,(to avoid some of the troubles of other threads) till I have everything then I should be good to go. How interchangeable are the dies, press, shell holders? Are there any problems with mixing and matching? Again thank you to all.
HJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the rockchucker supreme press and I have redding, forster, and RCBS dies, so no problem there and there won't be one either if you get the big lee press. I can't comment on the shell holders though since I have only used RCBS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also used RCBS dies for over 30 years, but I am switching to Lee dies and getting better loads. The Lee dies work perfectly in my Rock Chucker as do their shell holders. RCBS and Lee use different numbering systems, but they both fit standard presses.

I have never had a satisfactory RCBS primer, including the hand primer they tried to copy from Lee. I have 2 Lee auto primes for less than the price of one RCBS and they work, when the RCBS didn't.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe nobody said this - You have friends and family with that variety of presses and you haven't tried each and every one of them?!! Forget listening to us old guys ramble on and on about what we like, we're no different than your friends and family. Prevail upon each and every one of them to try their setup and see what you like! There's nothing like experience to settle this issue for you.

Posts: 37 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have lee shell holders, but use the hornady lock and load system with the lee classic, those bushings work great!

I have been using the primer seating tool built into the press as well. Now I'm only going slow doing rifle rounds for accuracy but it works wery well for this.

I have some lee dies for my 30-30 and redding for my 7mm-08, I do like the redding dies better but the lee RGD dies seem to work as well

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
You know that is a good idea that has only faintly crossed my mind. Hands on would be the way to go, as fair as �test driving� equipment goes. Duh!

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sorry to start a big controversy but I don't care for most Lee Products. Typically they are well designed but cheaply made. They will work for a while but I have worn several of their tools out due to the poor quality of materials they use.
Spend a little bit more for a Rock-chucker supreme and it will last a lifetime. Poor Quality is poorer economy........DJ

I agree with you 100%

I had to learn the hard way that cheap is not cheap but expensive. If you start with cheap prices cheap made reloading components you have only wasted money. The problem is that no One Company makes the best of every thing. My reloading room is full of crap that I wasted my money on some of it is broken and I am too cheap to throw it away. I wish the reloading companies would make products that were designed to last. I used to use Lee priming tool I like the way it works and the feel you get when seating a primer. But after breaking several I decided to buy one from Sinclair that was made out of Aluminum and Stainless Steel not pot metal and plastic. Lee, RCBS, etc... could do this but they are only interested in the fast buck. The Sinclair cost about $100.00 but the way it is made I would have saved money buying it to start with I don�t advise buying a cheap starter kit spend a few dollars now it will save you a lot later and your experience will be more pleasurable not having to deal with broken crap reloading components. Look at the warrantees the companies list if it don�t have a lifetime then they are not expecting it to last IMHO.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Used a Lee classic for years, then switched to a Lee Turret press....probably loaded 30,000 + rounds on it. Loved it. Then somebody made fun of my fat chick/moped/Lee loading equipment and I stepped up to the cash register.

Switched to an RCBS turret press, and wish I would have bought it years ago. A lot of people like the Lyman, etc., and critize the possibility of die holder deflection with the centre bolt on the RCBS style.... Except all you need to do is run your die that is 180 degrees from the one you are loading on, in so far that it bottoms on the frame(no more deflection).

When I'm loading 308, without doing the little die trick mentioned above, I'm loading the average round to less than .002 bullet runout using the Sinclair runout gauge. I've been able to acheive .0005 on occasion by doing the "die".

Plus....if I decide I want to load some pistol cartridges, the turret press makes things go pretty quick... For the rifle cartridges, you just need to change the die plate out, and never have to make any die adjustments to speak of when changing to different cartridges.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have done all my handgun ammo loading on a Dillion 550B for years and I love it. It's fast, turns out lots of accurate ammo and is easy to switch from on cal. to another. I invested in the quick change kits so I can go from one to another in about 10 min or so. All my rifle ammo is done on a RCBS Rockchucker just can't beat it for dependable ammo in low volumes. Both Dillon and RCBS have great reputations for customer service too. Good luck.

Posts: 28 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started reloading 12 years ago on a RCBS Partner Press(the smallest). I bought the starter kit and I think at that time it was under $100.00. It came with the press, a scale, powder funnel, loading block, lube pad & lube. I still have all those things and have added a few more items to my collection over the years. I have been very satisfied with the press. I first loaded 30-30 and .357 with it. I am now loading mainly 300WM and .45 ACP. Have never had a problem with any of the the items mentioned above. I have used Lee, Hornady and RCBS dies. I like the Hornady (New Dimension) dies the best. You can buy a cheap case trimmer from Lee that uses a drill and has guide rods instead of the manual or power trimmers (Although I have a RCBS manual trimmer). I would recommend a powder thrower as it makes loading faster (I have a Lee). Also a tumbler is a great investment. I think all those companies you mentioned have starter kits. If I had to chose between the 3 you mentioned I would go RCBS or Lyman. Anyway by the starter kit (RCBS makes a RockChucker starter kit I think) and add other things as you go along.

Posts: 26 | Location: Slidell LA | Registered: 02 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the new Rock Chucker. From what I hear its taller(1/2inch)and has the handle in the middle of the swing arm.Also,the handle can go off to the left or right. Which is nice for us south paws!

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote