New
Find
Notify
Tools

Runnout
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you were looking to load, and wanted the least amount of bullet runnout, what process and equipment would you use.

Posts: 40 | Location: Phoenix AZ. | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
First of all good quality dies that conform closely to your chamber. Next, good quality press with minimum runout in the ram, the die boss and with threads in the boss square to the ram. Either an arbor press with Wilson dies, or a Forster Co-ax would come closest to insuring proper function of the press. Last, a good runout gauge, available from several sources. (I have an old style Sinclair which I'll be parting with for about $60 including the dial indicator.)

Lastly, learning the proper setup of your dies which is where most of us fail.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The other post has you off to a good start....the arbor press is great for small batchs of benchrest quality reloads but is slow and a good solid steel press with care to get straight dies can do ALMOST as well and a lot faster and with less specialized dies....the new Bushing Competition neck dies from Redding are great and a full length sizing die that is straight and uses neck bushings will work for the full length sizing times....the Forster Ultra seater uses a spring loaded sliding sleeve to align the bullet and case for good straight seating and has a micrometer top for ease of dialing in the seating depth....BUT all of the good equipment won't help SORRY brass....you need a case wall micrometer or wall thickness gauge...Sinclair or RCBS casemaster along with the way to clean up turn the brass if you can't get good equal case neck wall thickness...this is where the Norma.Lapua brass shines......then good case mouth deburring and smooth neck interior to let the good die seat good bullets nice and straight and you will need a concentricity gauge to test the stages of loading and find the good cases and loaded rounds....again Sinclair's are great....the RCBS isn't as smooth to me.....you also need to do a chamber cast to get the exact neck diameter of your guns chamber and see if it is straight enough to take advantage of the extra money and equipment to get the good straight ammo....HTH..good luck and good shooting-loading!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I switched over a few years ago to Wilsons with neck sizers. These bushing dies give excellent concentricity.
That's half the battle, getting reloads with very little runout. If you are using a standard press, you can
measure your case necks for runout before resizing a case. Now resize it and measure again. Then
insert a bullet in your seater, seat it and measure again for runout. These steps will usually allow you to
tell where your runout is occurring. Don't be surprised to find it's in the press itself. That's what led me to
switch to the Wilsons. I don't even use a press now, just a little rawhide mallet. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote