Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon 550 or 650?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted
I know, these issues we had enough already, but I really do not know what I should do now. Have seen an offer, a Dillon 650, w/conversition kit .45ACP, without die set for 499.- €. Normal selling price would be 650.- €. 499.- € are usually offered the 550, including die set. The purchase price of my wholesalers would be 420.- €. The Dillon 650 even 550.- €. Hmmm .... I'm not the big handgun shooter, need as roughly 1000 rounds of 9x19, which I always buy, and roughly 1000 of .45 ACP. But if I had a slightly faster way to load cartridges, currently I charge at a single stage press, I could sometimes do more practice with my .45ACP. And then there´s still the place. How much space do the 650 need? Only live in a rented 78m² apartment and got a small craft corner, which should not necessarily continue to grow in the home, to love my wife.
But such an offer, under 500.- € is of course something. And by the way, I have Lee .45ACP dies, can I use it temporarily in the Dillon?

Thank you,

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd grab that deal and run. the 650 doesn't take up that much space, maybe 18" it is considerably faster than a 550 the sizing die must have a decapping unit installed since in a 650 you size and decap in the 1st station. if you lee die does that it will work

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also go with the 650. Spend more time shooting and less time reloading. One word of advice, make sure the bench you mount your 650 on is rock solid, any deflection when you pull the handle and you will have issues.

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
Yes, grab it while you can. The press w/o the case feeder is <3-feet tall and about 12"x12" of real estate.

You can use any dies w/ it and any powder measure. Swapping calibers takes longer than the 550 and is more expensive, however.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
650 all the way.

Posts: 1543 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would elect for the Hornady L-N-L unless you want/need a case feeder. In which case, get a 650 and case feeder.
For my reloading, the 550 is a crippled machine. Only four stations and no auto-index.
I have been VERY happy with my L-N-L and gave it to my son when I got a couple of 1050s. It is a very open and easy press to use and it was very easy teaching my son to reload on it.
I REALLY prefer the L-N-L powder measure over the Dillon and find the PTX inserts to be excellent.
If you get the Dillon powder measure, get the caliber specific "powder funnels"--what Dillon calls their powder-through expander inserts.
For any progressive press, make sure the bench is sturdy and rigid. No progressive works at its best with any flex in the bench.
For the Dillons, you will want tool heads for each caliber. For the L-N-L, all you need is the shell plate and 3-4 bushings (you can keep one bushing on the powder measure at all times).

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all.
I ordered the Dillon 650 today.
My wife isn´t very happy, but she means, otherwise I can´t sleep. Big Grin

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote