Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Equipment Suggestions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted
It's time to start reloading my own... 30-06 factory ammo shoots well through my Ruger and isn't too expensive... On the other hand, 338-378 Weatherby factory ammo ain't cheap...

I have been keeping my '06 brass (all Federal) and obviously I keep my Weatherby brass...

What I intend to do is simply start reloading my current collection of brass so it's also time to start collecting the equipment...

I do have several friends that reload so I do have help in the do's and don'ts but I certainly would like to have multiple opinions on which gear to buy...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS, Redding, and Lyman kits are the way to go. Your friends guidance will help you select certain other hand tools for those custom projects.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If cost is a consideration, buy the LEE reloading kit. Otherwise buy RCBS or Redding. If you do buy the Lee kit, you probably upgrade some of the tools eventually. But it's still a good place to start. None of the kits come with dies. For those I'd buy RCBS or Redding. Nothing wrong with Lee dies, I just like the others better.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought RCBS simply because that's what my father in law had and liked. I have no complaints about it whatsoever. However, I would suggest that you avoid a mistake that I made---buying everything you can get your hands on until you have some experience and know better what you want and need.

I bought everything. Press? Yep. Dies? Yep. Priming tool? Yep. Case trimmer? Yep. Powder dispenser? Yep. Flash hole deburing tool? Yep. and every pilot stop available. Powder trickler? Yep. And more.

Have yet to use some of it and would have been better off to start slow with a few things. Now I have a powder dispenser that I don't use because it doesn't handle extruded powders very well. I want an automatic one but have a bunch of money tied up in the other one. Would like to try the case trim dies from RCBS but have a bunch of money in the case trimmer.

You can probably start with a single stage press, dies for each caliber you will reload, a priming tool, deburring/chamfering tool, a scale, and a powder trickler. (Did I forget anything?) Do some and then see what you like and don't like and then expand from there.

I do recommend an electronic scale over a mechanical one though.

Regards,

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go hog wild like LWD if you're only going to reload those 2 calibers with hunting loads. How many boxes will you be needing per year? 2? 6?

I certainly wouldn't invest in a pricey electronic powder scale; a beam scale is good enough. My suggestion on equipment is predicated on that big Weatherby case; cause if it will fit so will the '06. A single stage press made from cast iron, and a Forster large case trimmer can be found on ebay. For the amount of ammo you'll need, second hand stuff will still have decades of use left in it. You might want to check into Lee dies; they sell a nice collet crimp die.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:

Nothing wrong with Lee dies, I just like the others better.

I actually prefer the Lee dies to RCBS or Lyman ones. Moreover, if you get the Lee 3-die set with the Lee Factory Crimp Die in it you are getting a real bargain. This 3-die set costs less than the 2-die RCBS or Lyman sets, and I think the Lee dies are actually better.

The Lee Factory Crimp Die is very useful. As Saeed found in his tests, crimping with this die increases accuracy a small but measurable amount.

I highly recommend the Lee case trimming system and the Lee Auto-Prime tool.

I do not recommend the Lee powder scale; I think the RCBS 5-0-5 or 10-10 are much better scales that are worth the additional cost.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heat,

Good advice already for you here.

My starting point would be the book "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" by M.L. McPherson (I've thr 3rd Edition, there's probably a newer one available). Digest that for @ $20.00 and then start figuring out what you want, plus the book has a huge amount of loading data for when you do make up your mind.

I agree with Llloyd 100% on the equipment selections. For a novice who has yet to decide if they're just going to load several boxes of ammo a year or eventually go "over the edge" like some of us old timers who have one of everything in Spades.

A kit from a reputable manufacturer RCBS, Lee, Hornady is certainly a good starting point; if not for purchase them as a comparison to purchase peicemeal.

On the other hand selective bargain componets like a small Lyman press, two sets of Dies (Lee 3-Die Set) with Lee Trimmers, a Scale and Pad would get you pretty much where you want to be without a huge initial outlay; especially from Midsouth, Nachez, Midway or another wholesale discounter.

I'd start with the .30/06 Sprg.; easy to load. many components and forgiving at the bench - Weatherby cartridges can be challenging for a novice IMO.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As can be seen you will get about as many opinions as you get responses. But here's mine. Powder measure hasn't been mentioned,so I'll start with that. I read all time about a measure not handling this that or the other powder. I have yet to find a powder that my Belding & Mull measure won't meter. It looked old and ancient 40 years ago when I bought it,but it is still dependable. In my books,doing em one round at a time seems plenty can go wrong,so I'm not a fan of progressive. RCBS single stage Rockchucker for a press. RCBS stands behind their stuff so I mostly buy RCBS.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To start with you should invest in a good reloading manual just to see what the process involves. Another manual I would highly recommend is Lyman's 48th edition. It is an excellent resource that is well illustrated and makes everything easy to understand. You'll need some manuals for load reference anyway once you get started.
As far as equipment, I'm pretty loyal to RCBS products. I bought a kit that included everything I needed except case trimmers. For that job I started out Lee trimmers, which are foolproof but tedious. I soon found myself needing something more efficient so I bought an RCBS trimmer and never looked back. I just recently bought a second press, I use one for handgun rounds and the other for rifle. Reloading in itself is a hobby for me, something I enjoy almost as much as shooting.

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Dittos on starting with loading manuals for every brand of bullet you plan to use. Once you've thoroughly read through them you'll have a better understanding of what you need.

I've used dies from all the major makers, and for std fl sizing dies and seaters I find that redding makes the best dies out there.

You can either start with a kit or piece your setup together. I don't think one maker makes the best of everytying, so piecing together a kit will IMHO yield the best setup. My setup has come to include a Forster co-ax press, Redding 3br powder thrower, RCBS hand primer seater and lots of misc bits, including a small lathe for trimming brass and making misc tooling.

I find a 4" dial caliper perfect for reloading choirs and easier to handle than a 6"

Almost forgot, two key items are a spiral bound notebook to keep notes of loads and results, and a sharpie pen to mark down what powder and how much you put into the cases in your ammo box. Guranteed you'll spill your box of ammo at least once, and if you don't know which load is which, your workup loads will be for naught.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Great responses so far guys... Yeah I was considering a single stage press since I'll only be reloading for those two cartridges... Won't be shooting 20 boxes apiece per year but I do enjoy going to the range or just out into the desert for a bit of fun Big Grin...

I was considering the Lymann 1200 electronic scale/trickler simply because it pretty much takes care of everything but filling the case for you. Sure it's expensive compared to even the best balance scales but the price won't break the bank...

Absolutely I was considering a few hard cover reloading manuals... It's nice that I have friends that reload but there is no substitute for a good manual (or two or three)...

I do check back on this thread from time to time so thanks for the suggestions so far and for any that might follow...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree completely with the recommendation to get a dial caliper. As far as I know, none of the reloading kits has one in it. It's near-indispensible for measuring cartridge overall length, and it works well for measuring group size too. There's no need to get an expensive one.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Ahhh yes, the caliper.... Make no mistake, I will probably get a fairly expensive one because I have a few hobbies where EXACT measurements are needed and I've pretty much worn out my present one..... One of my friends also uses a micrometer but then too he used to gunsmith for a living...

Ken....

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to mitutoyo, I have a 4" digital, 6" dial, and 12" digital. The 4" is so handy for reloading that even if you have a 6", I'd say getting a 4" would be worth the money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heat:
I was considering the Lymann 1200 electronic scale/trickler simply because it pretty much takes care of everything but filling the case for you. Sure it's expensive compared to even the best balance scales but the price won't break the bank.

Perhaps some other folks will chime in on this subject; my hunting partner just threw his Lyman 1200 up against the wall cause the auger broke on a course-grained IMR powder. He's been complaining about it for the last 2 years--mostly how hard it is to clean out one powder when switching to another. I know Lyman has out an improved model, 1200II. However I don't know if it works any better than the original. I think I'd check out the RCBS or PACT digital powder dispenser until someone proves that his problems are not the norm for the Lyman product.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS Kit you find in Midway is a great start and will last a life time. Add dies, case trimmer, debur tool and shell holders and you are ready to go.
You will have about 500 invested by the time you get powder, primers and bullets. If you end up loading a lot you can add a tumbler later. I went a long time without mine but sure glad that I have it now.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up the Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit from Cabela's for 69.99. I just had to throw in a few things here and there. I had enough gift cards from Christmas to pick up everything so far.

I have had absolutely no problems so far. I picked up Lyman's 48th Edition and that has been really handy. I was going to use Lee dies but they were sold out of 25-06 at Dundee location so I picked up the Hornady dies instead.

I would recommend the Lee for the price and for the fact that it performs. I do see myself upgrading certain stuff though. Probably to a digital scale for sure. I bought Hornady dies because I didn't want to wait otherwise its Lee dies for me. I have reloaded less than 100 rounds with this Hornady die set and already it has broke. It is covered with no-risk lifetime warranty but still it is an inconvenance.

Posts: 52 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN MICHIGAN | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
micrometer for measuring group size? I just use a yardstick when I have a real good group I want to measure.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Carpetman - - Good one....

animal animal animal

Thanks for the insight into the Lyman 1200 Dave, I'll also make sure to give the RCBS and PACT systems some serious thought....

Ken....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman:
micrometer for measuring group size? I just use a yardstick when I have a real good group I want to measure.
rotflmo

Hey Carpetman, You really do need to post more often in Reloading. I can always use a big ole Big Grin.

Do you recommend a specific "Brand" of yardstick - for measurement accuracy?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you want used equipment, i bought several items on ebay. an ohaus du-o-measure like new is the best measure i've used. bought a bonaza 68 press, a pacific press, a redding #7 press, a ch scale, an ohaus scale. just need to know when to quit. but do buy a set of check weights from rcbs, and a bubble level so you know the top you set the scale on is level, i'm a medical lab tech. a beam scale with 3 poise is best from a safety stand point.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts on the Forster CO-AX press ???

Ken....

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I don't know anyone with a co-ax that hasn't found it the best single stage press out there.

I've had mine for several years now, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Die changes are super fast, the shell holding jaws save time as well. The accuracy of the ammo is great as well due to the ability of case and dies to allign themselves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I as a short timer in reloading since 2001
have learned that lee reloading is a great way
to start.but there is other equipment aviable
in time you will see.but if you get hooked you
will always wind up with lee for dependablity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any thoughts on the Forster CO-AX press ???

Some long cartridges with those tall micrometer seating dies will not fit under the press handle. Otherwise, it's an excellent single stage press with mechanical advantage linkage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
%^%$#$%@# some hacker stole my password and posted that I measure my groups with a yardstick. Well atleast the hacker got it right that there is no need to measure my groups with a micrometer. Heck they are all one hole groups and nothing to measure. Some shoot 3 shot groups and some 5 shot and some even 10 shots. I shoot one shot groups. Saves expense of buying a micrometer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman 1200 and think its the greatest thing since bottled beer. Its the work of a couple of minutes to change powders. About like changing powders in a regular measure.
I used a Ohaus 10-10 for about 40 years and didn't have a problem with it either. My Redding powder measure is still cooking after 40 years also. Hell, I still use a Lee Loader and a dipper every once in a while. It all seems to work for me. No frustration. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Dave, that's going to prove interesting.... One of the cartridges I'll be reloading is the 338-378 Weatherby... Hopefully it's not too long for the press... I doubt it is but I'll have to make sure before I purchase any of them that they'll fit that monster...

Ken....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken,

I'm with stillbeeman on the Lyman 1200 PDS and especially; for bottled beer, too.

I've got one because Lyman (thank you) normally sees fit to offer their wares in 220 volt for us overseas customers way before RCBS and the others even think about getting around to it.

I'm happy with it - has worked just fine from day 1....it's fired up right now as we speak, too; dispensing 59.0 grs, of H-4831, one happily measured case at a time!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got an RCBS master kit when I first started out and there a great kit and will do everything from .22 hornet to .585 Nyati !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of smedley
posted Hide Post
Heat, it appears like you want to do the right thing first.
The Co-Ax is the way to go!!!
I am prefering Redding dies these days over RCBS.
The Lyman reloading manual is a first.
I like to trickle my powders so I recommend a RCBS 10-10 scale.
For calipers, Mitutoyo 0"-6" digitals.
Just what I can suggest! Smiler

Also, welcome to the great world of creating your own rounds! wave

Smedley

"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"
Winston Churchill
------------------------------------
"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." Samuel Adams
Facts are immaterial to liberals. Twisted perceptions however are invaluable.
We Americans were tired of being thought of as dumb, by the rest of the world. So we went to the polls in November 2008 and removed all doubt.....let's not do it again in 2012 please.

Posts: 3242 | Location: Cruising through the Milky Way at 98,000fps | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Very good suggestions so far... Thanks for the detailed suggestion smedley...

Nice to know that some of these presses can handle the larger cartridges as well PC...

I really am considering the Co-Ax and was curious if anyone knows if it will fit the 338-378 Weatherby (85 bucks a box Eeker is a big part of the reloading decision)... Plus I really would like to get things as accurate as I can for my rifles....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really am considering the Co-Ax and was curious if anyone knows if it will fit the 338-378 Weatherby

Case length is the same as my 416 Remington mag, and it fits. My dies are Lee.

Like I said before, do not buy one of those micrometer competition seater dies. Guaranteed not to fit under the handle.

One of Us
Picture of smedley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
I really am considering the Co-Ax and was curious if anyone knows if it will fit the 338-378 Weatherby

Case length is the same as my 416 Remington mag, and it fits. My dies are Lee.

Like I said before, do not buy one of those micrometer competition seater dies. Guaranteed not to fit under the handle.

The RCBS I use for the 7mmRM does. Not sure how much bigger you want to go. (also mine Co-Ax is one of the Bonanza's if that is any different)

Smedley

"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"
Winston Churchill
"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." Samuel Adams
Facts are immaterial to liberals. Twisted perceptions however are invaluable.
We Americans were tired of being thought of as dumb, by the rest of the world. So we went to the polls in November 2008 and removed all doubt.....let's not do it again in 2012 please.

Posts: 3242 | Location: Cruising through the Milky Way at 98,000fps | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1965 I bought a CH "H" style 3-station press and love it. Used other "C" style and "O" style presses but keep coming back to the CH press.

Lets me mount typical 2 die (rifle) or 3 die (pistol) set ups and it is almost as fast as a progressive. Didn't like the priming arm post, so bought an RCBS bench mounted primer and threw the CH priming post away.

Plenty of length for long magnums, and plenty of power/leverage to do case forming. I see that CH now makes a 4 station "H" press, and they are pricey, but they last.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote