Find
Notify
Tools

Re: H380 winter accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of redial
posted
Matt, I think all the Extreme powders are extruded. H380 is a ball type.

FWIW, most double-based powders are GENERALLY more sensitive than single-based. Exceptions certainly exist, but the sphericals and some others, notably the 500 series Viht powders wobble a bit more. WW 748 is about the worst for this.

My experience also includes surplus 4895 and WW 296, both of which lose MANY hundreds of feet per second in .30 cal and .44 mag repectively when it gets cold. I've gone to 4064 and 4227 for winter uses.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to a tech at hodgdons yesterday.He informed me that if you let the ammo get exposed to extreme temp differences,there could be as much as a 200 fps diff in a 22/250 between stick and ball powders.This would not only effect trajectory but also left right.He told me that when he hunts coyotes,their usually 200 yrds +,so he uses his gun as a single shot,in other words,pulls one out of his inner shirt pocket when required.He uses H380,finds his gun prefers it.He says even if I were using the less sensitive varget that I do that anyway,so ammo that makes many trips out without use is not subject to hot cold hot cold.He says that would be just as bad as the H380 seeing cold.

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I have loaded 22-250 shells in 100deg Okla summers and took them p dog hunting in 30-40deg Wyoming falls and they always worked great for me. I have used H380 in hunting rifle loads that were loaded under the same conditions and the hunting temp was below zero. They worked fine. I also have only used standard primers for my H380 reloads and they always have gone bang.
I kinda think this "temp insensitive" thing is more a marketing ploy than anything else.
H380 has been around too long and worked well in too many loads/rifles to suddenly be worthless.

I agree. I used H380 for .308 Winchester hunting loads for years before aanyone ever even heard of "extreme" powders, and that ammo worked well in all kinds of temperatures.