THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How To Make A Rifle That Shoots In The Zeroes Into An 8 Incher!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To Make A Rifle That Shoots In The Zeroes Into An 8 Incher!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
I have a rifle built by Dwight Scott on a Hall Giant action.

I have several heavy, long barrels for it.

All chambered for our own wildcats.

Currently it has the 30/404 barrel, which is 30 inches long.

I have shot several groups with it which were hard to measure.

I found a box of the Speer 100 grain Plinker bullets, and thought I might try them and see what velocity I would get.

I started with 96 grains of Reloader 19.

Got 4022 fps, and a group that is about 8 inches! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67618 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can make any rifle an 8"-er.

No need to load poorly cast, plinkers, or fmj pulls.

Just let me shoot it.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Still good enough for elephant!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You guys didn't see the part where, that was at 1200 yards!

Posts: 17193 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Still good enough for elephant!

I don’t think I would shoot an elephant with a 100 grain Speer Plinker clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67618 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I've shot the Speer plinker in many 30 caliber rifles and never got near MOA pissers roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best way to get sub 1 inch groups with a Speer Plinker is to shoot just one shot! Roll Eyes

Hip

Posts: 1866 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Are the 100 grain plinkers getting to the target in one piece?

My 22.250 AI shooting the 36 grain Barnes VGs at 4500+ fps shoots 5 shot 5/8" groups at 100 yards. If I go up to 4,650 fps it opens the groups up to about 1.25".

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kind of would like to see what that plinker looks like coming out the barrel at 4-K.
I bet wad cutter best describes it though.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote