New
Find
Notify
Tools

shot stringing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
weather vertical or horizontal how do you tackle shot stringing?

i know ther is an element of human error especially on the horizontal, but is there anything obvious i am missing?

thanks

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Morning Sir!
My SOP for shot stringing, is to check everything for loose screws, aside from the shooter. Determine if anything has changed with the firearm.
If you are shooting from a rest check that out. If you are resting the forearm of the rifle on a hard surface, you have found your problem.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
If a known good rifle just starts strining shots one day, where before it had not I would check action screws obviously.

If it does it from right out of the box I would look at stock/barrel contact. Heat can also cause shot stringing.

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the gun/scope is mechanically sound.

Vertical: Change powder charge
Need to speed up or slow down the load.

Horizontal: Change powder/primer

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDHunter's advice mirrors my own experience. I have reloaded for two different guns that strung low and initial charges vertically but the problem was not seen with higher charges. But if this isn't a question of reloading and powder charges then check the mechanics. Also was the gun subjected to any dramatic weather changes that could have caused, for example, the wood stock to swell?

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote