Find
Notify
Tools

OPENING A CAN OF WORMS "VELOCITY"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have been handloading/reloading for center fire rifles since 1968, and my philosophyb has been, start at the bottom and work up until you find the load the rifle likes the best, then STOP!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I have been handloading/reloading for center fire rifles since 1968, and my philosophyb has been, start at the bottom and work up until you find the load the rifle likes the best, then STOP!

Poor thing!

You have been missing all the fun of blown primers, bolts stuck so hard you need a hammer to open them up, you load a bunch of ammo and go to the range, fire one shot, and find out you cannot shoot any more because you do not have a hammer to open the bolt.

You get to the stage where you even build your new house with an underground shooting range.

This solves a major problem as you load one lot, fire them, and go on from there, rather than load a whole bunch and drive for miles to the range and find every load is over maximum for that rifle.

But, being proper reloaders, you decide to see how to blow up a rifle.

Actually, purposely, blow it up.

So you look for the fastest powder you have, fill up a case with it, seat the heaviest bullet that will fit, tie the whole rifle to a purpose built steel frame, use a length of fishing line, go back 70 yards away and pull the string.

The gun breaks its stock, the bolt cannot be opened.

That did not work so well.

Pick another rifle, smaller caliber but with the same powder capacity, and repeat.

The whole rifle disintegrate into pieces, and you are jumping with joy!

If you have not done any of the above, you are not a proper reloader! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 Win, I want as much velocity as is reasonable, but accuracy trumps velocity. If I get both....I have a winner! memtb

PS: if you hit that “can of worms” with enough velocity.....it “will” open up! Wink

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote