New
Find
Notify
Tools

405 Winchester loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone start working up loads for this cartridge yet? I am really excited about the new M1895 and want to know what kinda performance I can get out of the 405.

Thanks in advance,
Casey

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone out there that can help me? I just picked up one of these new M1895's and would love to get some reload data.

Thanks,
Casey

one of us
posted Hide Post
Casey,
I do not have a .405, but have some data from Wolfe Publishing.
Hawk 300 gr bullet, .411". http://www.hawkbullets.com
IMR-3031 - start at 52 grains and stop at 57. Use a chronograph, buy a good one or find a friend with one. I assume that you want to duplicate the factory 2200 fps. Get some new factory ammo and run it over the chrono, then start with 52 gr of IMR-3031 and compare velocity readings.
Also compare the looks of a newly fired factory case and a fired reload case.
STOP if you see pressure signs or anything odd, bright spots on rim, case stretching, etc..
Increase charge weights slowly (always visually compare cases after firing) until you match the factory load velocity or get to 57 grains. STOP at whichever comes first.
There isn't much modern data for the .405 yet.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DaveC,
Thanks for the data! At least now, I know where to start.

Casey

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CASEY For big game such as Elk or Bear be sure and get the Hawk bullets in the .035jkt or the .050jkt. Call them directly they are very helpful. I shoot Hawk .025jkt 300gr. bullets at 2330fps in my 450/400 3 1/4". They work perfectly on deer and pigs, but I would use a thicker jkt on bigger animals. Woodleigh also makes good bullets in .411 diameter.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, THANKS, BIG TIME! I never seem to be able to find anything when I do an internet search!

I'll let you all know how I come out with my load development.

Thanks again,
Casey