Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading for accuracy in a .308 autoloader
 Login/Join

posted
What are the best ways to get more accuracy out of handloads for a semi? The gun is a DPMS LR-308.

I know neck sizing is out of the question but is full length sizing necessary if you are only using the loads in one specific rifle?

Would you be pissing into the wind with full length bushin dies since you need to crimp the loads?

Other that experimenting with different bullet seating depths, powder, primers, and bullets, are there any other good techniques for loading for maximum accuracy?

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
You don't need to do much experimenting:

1. Cartridge length should be the longest that will feed through the magazine. Make sure the bullet isn't actually engaging the lands but if the cartridge is short enough to feed through the magazine that is quite unlikely to happen.

2. Use Federal 210M (match) primers.

3. Use a cases all from the same lot. I believe Nosler premium brass is very good. I use to use Federal match brass but they don't market it any more.

4. Use Sierra BTHP or Nosler BTHP 168 gr. match bullets.

5. Use IMR 4064 powder.

In an autoloader, you need to full length size the cases.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
May I suggest you buy/read a copy of Precision Shooting Reloading Guide.
Published by Precission Shooting Inc.
222 McKee Street
Manchester CT 06040
This is an advanced techniques book. The authors presupose the reader already has a good handle on basic techniques. They devote one chapter to loading for gas guns. As a bonus there is a lot of other good info pointed toward other shooting sports.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what kind of trigger have you got in the DPMS?? If its a factory one - change it - its hard to get any kind of accuracy out of a 10# gritty trigger

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had the Jard 2lb. but was getting some double fires from it. It has some other accuracy issues, so I sent it back to the factory. They reccomended swapping out the Jard for a JP.

I still havent got the rifle back yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok you guys will find this hard to believe but___ I had a norinco M14 years ago and now have a remington 7400 in 308( I know it supposed to be junk) The bullets that shot best out of my past and present guns were 110 gr remington brand fmjs in 307 dia. These bullets are for the m1 carb. I use an obsolete powder AA2200 which was made for the 762 x39 I use a lee factory crimp on them ( dont overdo them) These bullets shot better than any 169 gr boatails or any sierras for that matter. I can do a 1 inch or better with my remington7400 on a good day at 100 yds and the muzzel blast is incredible.

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to say I use 41 grs of AA 2200 powder If anyone has any of this stuff. Very little kick with the 308 with these light bullets! Would love to know the velosity as they destroy big creek rocks. I use this stuff in my 30 30 too with the fastest velosity for 110grs at 2800 when my chrono was working!!

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote