New
Find
Notify
Tools

165 XLC's in the 300 winny mag?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
Wondering if anyone is shooting the blue pills in the win mag. I'm consdering building a winny, and figure with a longish tube ~27", it ought to be good for near 3300 fps.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Paul:

FWIW take a look at the article by RJ in the October STimes. The photos of those X and failsafe bullets @ 3000 fps. worry me a bit. I haven't shot anything live with an X from a 300 so I can't comment first hand. But!! a lot of folks that swear (AT) X bullets accuse them of penciling. After looking at those pics, the penciling gripe makes some sense.

I have used those bullets a bit with lesser calibers with no problem other than mediocre accuracy. But I'm probably talking 2400-2600 impact speeds.

There are lots of choices, look at thos pics again, and see what you want your bullets to look like after a hit.

JimF

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I'll have to take a peek at the article. I know Big Stick is a fan of the blue X's, and have the hankering for a pea shooter. I suppose I also have the a-frame and northfork as other options.

So how is Truckee, I haven't been up there in almost 10 years?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup--you can tear pedals off a x bullet at high speed but that flat faced shank (which still has more diameter than the caliber) will do lots of damage and put animals down extremely well. It's a combination of high speed and a blunt object. I think the penciling complaint comes from bullets made by barnes before 1995 which sometimes didn't open up.
2 years ago I shot a 6x6 at 90 yds with a 30-378 & 150 x bullet. (approx 3700 fps muzzle) It was a quartering shot from slightly behind. On exit the bullet hit the front (far) shoulder and mangled it as if it had been hit by an entry wound. I doubt if that bullet kept it's pedals at that speed but that elk went down right now with authority. The exit wound at the far side of the elk was as big as the holes I normally see out of my 45-70 on deer--just a little bigger than my thumb.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about losing the petals on a live target with an X. Chances are you won't recover the bullet, and it's insides will be trashed. I've had high impact Nosler Partitions do the same with no complaints. And they loose alot more weight. E

[ 09-27-2002, 06:06: Message edited by: Eremicus ]

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Paul:

How is Truckee? Different!!

We have three (count 'em) traffic lights, A Safeway super store, and Traffic problems on weekends. A restaurant blew up downtown some years ago, resulting in a complete remodel of commercial row. The locals that work in the tourist support businesses can't afford a home unless they bought 5-6 years ago.

Still a nice place to live though. The Truckee river is now partially managed as C&R. The Tahoe rim trail is done, and skiing is better than ever. It's just not the same little town I moved to 22 years ago.

BTW, I was not knocking the X bullet, (I haven't used 'em enough to really say) But those little cylinders of metal in the article don't look as good as say the "A Frame" does.

Jim

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I imagine it's changed! My folks had a condo in Squaw Valley in the 80's, and then built a cabin in the Serene Lakes subdivision in the early 90's. Even ten years ago, it was bumper to bumper from the Bay all the way up!

I recall the light on the old hwy 40, buy the hardware store and then those ghastly factory outlets that popped up. So is it totally built up on the drive out of town towards the theater and airport?

Even AK has changed since we came up for our honemoon 9 years ago, and in the 5+ years we've lived here. We also have some pretty good skiing up here [Big Grin] Pretty cool to work in a big city, and be able to go cross country skiing at lunch time, and based on a "normal" winter, that will be starting in a few weeks.

Also our house prices have gone up a rediculous amount.

I've never shot X bullets before, but with the velocity I'm after, it is one of the few bullets I'd trust, and I know of at least one guy using that weight of X in a 300 win with good results.