New
Find
Notify
Tools

80 grain Match: 223 to 22/250?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I currently have a Ruger Stainless in 223 with a one in 7 twist Stainless PacNor Barrel, and a Grey Laminate Boyd's stock on it. It is a very nice looking rifle.

The barrel use to be on a Black Ruger 77 Receiver, but I ended up with a Stainless Ruger 77 in 243 with a shot out barrel. I put the Stainless barrel on the 243 receiver and put the original 223 blued barrel back on the 223. I currently use the bolt from the Blued 223 for the 243 receiver with the 223 barrel on it.

What I have debated on doing since I haven't gotten good performance out of the 223 with the longer 80 grain Match bullets, except with a few "hot" loads, I was looking to have the chamber reamed out for the 22.250. Will this gain any appreciable velocity? Load manuals show an MV for a 22.250 with an 80 grain bullet at about 3000 fps max, while I am getting 2900 with a few hot loads in the 223 case now....With tons of cheap Lake City brass I haven't been overly concerned about brass life.

Has anyone done this, or been loading the 22.250 with 75 and 80 grain bullets? Is there that much increase in velocity? Or is going to a 22.243 going to give me more? I am hearing that the 220 Swift is really overbore for the 22 caliber line.
I can't say as I have never owned one. The only reason for considering the 22.243 is based on the tons of 243 brass that I have also.

Thanks for any and all responses!

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

3 years ago I was thinking the same sort of thing. The consensus of the match rifle enthusiasts and smiths was that VLDs don't like to be pushed very fast.

To a man they all stated that the whole point of the VLDs is not starting velocity but retained velocity. They all also felt that a VLD is not going to be grouping that well at 100 but should be shooting like a house on fire at 300. Also VLD shooting is not so much about trajectory more to do with wind drift.

At this point I decided to get a 243 - I was more temperamentaly suited!

I don't think that a 22-250 is going to improve accuracy for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 1894.

I should have been more clearer... I was looking at cleaning up the bore and getting it rebedded etc, while I was getting the chamber redone....

I just was thinking the 223 case is more picky about powder when you get that long of a bullet on that small of a case.... for that heavy of a bullet, I was thinking going to a larger case and using such powder as 4350, Re19 etc, would improve accuracy with a bullet that long....

A lot of guys consider this rifle accurate at 600 yds, as I have competed with it at that range...
However as I said, the velocity has to be cranked up, and occasionally it does blow primers, even tho all the cases are using the same powder charges, and they are usually one used with that load several times, before regulated back to varmint shooting duty. The powder I am currently using is AA 2520, and am using what is published in the load manual, and my rifle is very long throated....

I am told the VV powders are better for that application, but they are hard to find around these parts....

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with long range dogs in mind I built a 22/250A.I. with a 8" twist hart barrel. load is 40 gr of IMR 4831 and sierra 80 gr. Never measured the velocity, but the rifle groups well and the trajectory is sort of like a streched rubber band. Works great on 6-800 yd dogs.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I currently have a boltgun match rifle project in the works that will be a 22-250 shooting 80's, A-Max's, et al from the magazine. To me it's an advantage to be able to load to velocities that are MAX in a .223 with less pressure and be able to feed from the mag what the AR gunners can only load singly. It'll be a 1-8" twist.

As stated above, the big advantage will be in drift, not speed. Besides, the test bed rifle has a .473" boltface so it was a matter of choosing a cartridge that fit the bolt on one end and the bore on the other!

Probably somewhat off your question, but too many hours of pondering have gone into this to let it pass!

Cheers

Redial

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old Swift may be overbore, but when it comes to performance its still king...

That said, I still prefer the 222 and 223 for my 22 hi powers...If is windy I shoot my 6x45, it give me a mental edge, probably makes littel difference in the real world...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redial:
I currently have a boltgun match rifle project in the works that will be a 22-250 shooting 80's, A-Max's, et al from the magazine. To me it's an advantage to be able to load to velocities that are MAX in a .223 with less pressure and be able to feed from the mag what the AR gunners can only load singly. It'll be a 1-8" twist.

As stated above, the big advantage will be in drift, not speed. Besides, the test bed rifle has a .473" boltface so it was a matter of choosing a cartridge that fit the bolt on one end and the bore on the other!

Probably somewhat off your question, but too many hours of pondering have gone into this to let it pass!

Cheers

Redial

redial:

I think you and I are on the same wave length here.. I appreciate your input.....

I am going to go ahead and have it rechambered for a 22.250.... I can still use it as a 22.250 with regular lighter bullets I guess... if all else fails....

I own about 6 other 223s, all but one with a heavy barrel on them....This one was originally set up as a walking varminter rig anyway....

Cheers
seafire
thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To seafire
Where in Oregon, I am in K Falls , I amj currently shooting 223 , 22-250
Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I am over in the Rogue Valley, Grants Pass to be exact.....

Drop me an email at seafire@charter.net.... I have been hoping to get over your way for some squirrel shooting before the season is over, if the weather will cooperate, along with a work schedule!

cheers
seafire
thumb