New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for AR-15
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone reload for an AR-15? I plan to start reloading for my Bushmaster M4. Several reasons. One I like to reload. Two I figure I can reload 1000 rounds for what 500 rounds of what Lake City costs. Three my gun has a 1:7 twist and I feel I need heavier / longer bullets to get the most out of it.

I know heavier bullets will cost more but then loaded ammo with the heavier bullets cost more also.
I plan to load the bulk of my ammo with cheap bulk 55 grain bullets but want to get a load for the heavier ones for when I really want to lay them in there.

I already ordered small base dies as I feel they would be best when loading for an auto loader. Still need to find a good powder that will be as clean as I can get and still get good velocity.

Only small gun I ever loaded for was a Contender in 7TCU. I used IMR 4895 in it.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
Varget or WW748. Pleanty of data out there for both these powders. These are used by NRA shooters for the AR15.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jacobite:
Anyone reload for an AR-15? I plan to start reloading for my Bushmaster M4. Several reasons. One I like to reload. Two I figure I can reload 1000 rounds for what 500 rounds of what Lake City costs. Three my gun has a 1:7 twist and I feel I need heavier / longer bullets to get the most out of it.

I know heavier bullets will cost more but then loaded ammo with the heavier bullets cost more also.
I plan to load the bulk of my ammo with cheap bulk 55 grain bullets but want to get a load for the heavier ones for when I really want to lay them in there.

I already ordered small base dies as I feel they would be best when loading for an auto loader. Still need to find a good powder that will be as clean as I can get and still get good velocity.

Only small gun I ever loaded for was a Contender in 7TCU. I used IMR 4895 in it.

The 4895 will work in the gas gun loads for 223 and the W748 works well and meters so smoothly.....and you will PROBABLY get better results with the 63-70 grain bullets for longer range shooting but some 1/7 suprise you with their likes...as for the small base dies ...some guns need them and others work well with standard 223 dies.....according to the chamber specs.paticular dies and lot of brass.....just swage or cut the primer pocket crimp in the military type brass and trim the brass to get a consistant length and crimp and for use of a magazine then the seating depth will be set by that length...for accuracy single loading you can try longer seated bullets......enjoy the new gun and working up loads...good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 24.5 grs of Varget behind everything from 53 gr Sierra MK's up to 80 gr MK's for NMC shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do all of the reloading for our high school high power rifle team. Here are the loads that we use for various distances and bullet weights.
55gr fmj for 100 yard practice 24gr of wcc844(military surplus)
69gr sierra with 24.0gr of RL15 for ranges between 200-500yards
69gr sierra with 23.3gr of WC844
60gr hornady for 200 yard 24.0gr of RL15(very accurate load for this distance)
77gr sierra with the same 24.0gr of RL15

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I use / or have used IMR4198, Varget, W748, and Surplus WC846. So far I've had the best luck accuracy wise with Varget and WC846 which is very similar to BL-C2.

I've had good luck with all of Sierra's Match King bullets, right now my favorite flavor is the 77gr SMK but don't overlook their 62gr SP bullet it's amazingly accurate and will drop a deer if put in the right place. Beware that some of the thin jacketed varmint bullets will fly apart betwixt you and the target if spun up to one turn in seven inches (Approx. 250,000rpm! [Eek!] ).

Military brass is a pain to decrimp but I've had the best luck with Lake City (Headstamped "LC-??") over all of the commercial brass for both accuracy and case life. Make sure you watch case length, they can really grow through an autoloader. IMHO, small base dies are the way to go.

Enjoy, they're fun little guns and if you slap a scope on it you'll outshoot some boltguns. [Big Grin]

Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,
You have given me a place to start.
I ordered 1000 cheep 55 grain bullets and will try heavier ones 100 at a time till I find the one I like. Very much of my target shooting will be only at 25 meters with iron sights. If I can keep my shots within 3 cm at 25 meters I am happy. I am beta testing an iron sight set of game targets for the developer and all shooting is at 25 meters. They are scaled to represent ranges out to 500 meters. That will be the main use for this rifle for now.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you are on the right track. Your carbine will shoot just fine with 55gr FMJ. An M4 isn't exactly a precision rifle, I wouldn't sweat the groups too much. It was designed to hit lots of man-sized targets quickly at under 100 yards. I know, in a pinch you can shoot further with an M4, but a full size rifle will do it better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jacobite:
Thanks Guys,
You have given me a place to start.
I ordered 1000 cheep 55 grain bullets and will try heavier ones 100 at a time till I find the one I like. Very much of my target shooting will be only at 25 meters with iron sights. If I can keep my shots within 3 cm at 25 meters I am happy. I am beta testing an iron sight set of game targets for the developer and all shooting is at 25 meters. They are scaled to represent ranges out to 500 meters. That will be the main use for this rifle for now.

I started out using IMR 4064 and 2400 w/55gr FMJs in my ARs because I blow through thousands of rounds in short order and the thinking was that this would add a bit of barrel life. I've stuck with these powders as one thing that I've noticed is that they both produce very accurate loads.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot BL(C)-2 under a 50 gr VMAX in my Colt with a 24" 1:9 barrel. I've put close to 400 rounds without cleaning before and never had a problem with it getting dirty.

Posts: 121 | Location: Prosser, WA | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote