New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with Lyman dies?A friend bought a rifle that came with a set of these dies that had no paperwork on how to set them up properly.Are they about the same as RCBS?

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slight differences but if you're familiar with RCBS dies you should have no problem with Lyman dies. One thing I've discovered, by accident actually, is that the Redding carbide sizing buttons will work with Lyman stems...at least the one I tried.

Good luck.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And, with Lyman dies, if you keep the expander ball and its stem loose in the sizing die so that it "floats," run-out can be as little as .001-.002". Hope this helps, ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Lyman dies are my dies of preference in handgun cartridges. I have a couple in rifle cartridges and in my opinion are in the same class as RCBS and a tad above Hornady and way above Lee. You adjust the vast majority of dies identically. Instructions from one manufacturer fit all the others for conventional dies.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote