New
Find
Notify
Tools

Throat Erosion
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I am working up a max load in my new .22/250 for foxes and crows and considering using 40gr bullets. I am interested to hear other members views on what is the biggest contributing factor of throat erosion in barrels. Is it bullet weight, velocity, powder burning speed, load density, OAL or something else?

I normally use 55 grainers but like the look of the 40's ballistics, just don't want to burn the throat on this new barrel in a flash.

Thanks,

One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
I observe .010" per 500 rounds of standard pressure 55 grain ammo.

I don't think 40's cause any additional throat wear unless you run the pressures too high. Many people at the range boast about that 4500 FPS, but they load past maximum and accept the sticky bolt and poor case life.

The main problem with 40's is the additional copper fouling. In my experience, I had to clean twice as often (at least every 10 rounds) to maintain accuracy. I can go up to 40 rounds with 55's before the gun starts to go over 1 MOA.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Heat and pressure...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I am not too concerned about barrel fouling as I clean after every 5-10 rounds. I'll maybe give the 40's a try after all.

Thanks for the help.