New
Find
Notify
Tools

OPINIONS OF SPEER .375 cal 285 GR. GRAND SLAMS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Opinions please of above bullet---reliability and accuracy.

Yhanks Hip

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot anything with them, but they are accurate and appear well constructed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the grand slams I used were tack drivers, but there's nothing wrong with MoA accuracy.
The 285gr out of my 375 Weatherby performed very well on Water buffalo here, the 260gr Accubond out penetrates them slightly, but penetration is still fantastic.
Never recovered one from a deer, so performance was stellar.

Cheers.
coffee

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used GS on Alaskan brown bears to black bears and the larger african game.Always good penetration and accuracy with 80 grains of ww 760 powder winchester primers and cases,bullets seated to 3.560.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I've only used the 300GS and that was almost 15 years ago. At that time they were fairly soft up front giving very good expansion but lacking in penetration. My PH said they would be excellent lion bullets.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used them on one Cape buffalo and 3 or 4 elk in my .375 and they proved very accurate in two guns I had that I tried them in..They performed like any other of todays super premium bullets, good expansion and penetration, usually stopping on the off side skin of a cape buffalo shot broadside and gave me pass threws on elk, one of which was going away and the bullet went in behind the last rib and exited behind the opposite shoulder..I gave 6 boxes to the PH I was booking for and he liked them in his 375 on buffalo, Lion and Leopard, plus he used them on all the Pg for camp meat...

That said, Im still a Nosler partition or Accubond fan given my druthers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42178 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the replies----very helpful !

Hip

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My buddy and I used the 285s in my 380PDK wildcat. Driven around 2600. Side by side against the 260 Accubond on hogs in TX. In both rifles the Accubond gave better accuracy. In our "opinion" gave better killing performance. The 260 is now the only thing we shoot in those rifles.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 285 gr. Speer Grand Slam was not designed for hogs, the softer Accubond or just a Sierra is all one needs on hogs..I shot many hogs with a 222...Save those Grand Slams for elk and Moose, or for your first shot on cape buffalo, followed by solids..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42178 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote