THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Small pistol primers in 45 ACP... GRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small pistol primers in 45 ACP... GRRRRRRRR!!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I started loading 45 ACP progressively yesterday afternoon, and about eight cases in had one that wouldn't take the primer. I extracted it and found it to be a brass, reloadable "Blazer" case. Six or eight cases later it happened again. This time it was a Federal case. In short, I have found ten small pistol primed cases in sixty.

I am sure this has been discussed before, but how many of the ammunition manufacturers have gone to small pistol primers in their 45 ACP cases, and who are they? I don't know that my eyes are good enough to pick out the differences if I try to segregate by visual inspection, and having to stop every time I find one that is small primer primed really slows down the progressive loading process.

Anyone else having this issue?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal started this crap last year.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Federal is the only ones I've found so far

I have a special tub I cull them into but I still keep them for trade or hard times

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
Can you guys tell me why they have gone to small primers??? Any advantages???

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The 45 ACP is based on the 30-06 and doesn't require a large pistol primer

However there is no reason to change after over 100 years but....

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The small primers are being used in the "green" ammo now being offered because of the smaller amount of residue and gas it leaves behind.
Winchester started it all IIRC with their "Win-Clean" offerings.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't mix cases of different manufacture, even when loading pistol ammunition which isn't expected to actually hit what it's aimed at. If your cases were properly segregated the difference in primer sizes would be less of a problem.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A fellow brought a bunch of 45 acp over to reload the small primer pockets were a pain in the A$$.

Large primer pockets have been the standard.

Its even worse when using a progressive reloader.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
In most cases the small primers are used in "reduced" lead ammo or "lead-free" ammo. The cases can be a pain in a progressive reloader if not properly segregated.
If you want to get rid of the small primer brass you can send it to me. I don't load for the 45ACP but I have friends that will use it happily.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sort cases before loading, I will cull them out. I load 45 on a Dillon 650 and 40 caliber cases hiding in 45s are more disruptive than a small primed 45. The small primed 45 I attempt and fail to prime, I just pick the case off the machine. No big deal. Berdan primed cases, all too common in 9mm are a much more disruptive problem.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was unable to get the picture, but at the range a couple of shooters were discussing pictures sent out by a reloader whose progressive press had been disassembled trying to seat a large pistol primer in 45 ACP small pistol brass. The guys who saw the pictures said they could not believe the damage to the press when the stack of primers went off.

The point is, you have to be very diligent is sorting out your 45 ACP brass if you are using a progressive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some Winchester, Federal and Blazer are the ones I have found so far. They are really not hard to spot on visual inspection.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote