New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lets Just Design the Perfect Bullet!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With all the fuss about what is the ultimate big game bullet, an all of the new technology why has some one not come up with a bullet that can kill all. A partioned bullet with a boat tail, and it has a plastic tip. This bullet could penitrate deeply open wide, would only drop about a inch at 500 yards, and kill all that stands in front of it. That sounds like a bullet that I would like to load in my guns. LLB

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That sounds like a bullet that I would like to load in my guns. LLB

Me too!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The more I think about it the more I wonder if this has been tried. Or has nobody ever thought about putting it all in to one package. LLB

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I do not know but a little difficult to add the rear lead part of the partitioned bullet to a boattail huh?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be perfect for the longer designs like the 140- 160 6.5's, 180- 200 .308's, and so on. I think there would be enough room in some of those. LLB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Or make the rear of the bullet Like the rear of the x bullet. Have a bonded front with a ballistic tip and a boat tail solid end.LLB

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Keep pouring in the ideas we might have something here!

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Maybe Northfork will step forward w/ a plastic tipped design. or Nosler could just but a plastic tip on their partition & bond the cores.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Maybe Northfork will step forward w/ a plastic tipped design. or Nosler could just but a plastic tip on their partition & bond the cores.

I would gladly buy them then, but only then!

I hate bullets that sport the BC of a brick! Regardless the fact that I acknowledge that BC does not play a huge role in "everyday hunting" !

one of us
posted Hide Post
I Know they have the bonded core Ballistic tips out, Accubond, Etc.. Maybe it is the cost of production that limits the building of super bullets. When you have to produce two or three millon a day to keep up. It makes the production process that much longer and expensive to add a partion here or a bonded core here. Just trying to think through the eyes of the bullet makers. LLB

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

I would gladly buy them then, but only then!
I hate bullets that sport the BC of a brick! Regardless the fact that I acknowledge that BC does not play a huge role in "everyday hunting" !

BTW same goes for Swift and Trophy Bonded!

one of us
posted Hide Post
No bullet ever made is only going to drop only 1 inch at 500 yards but on the other points the Accubond is mighty close.
I doesn't have a partition, but all tests so far show that it "acts" like a partition terminally. It has the plastic tip, the boattail, has a very high BC, and to top that all off, it costs LESS than the partition. By the way, I don't work for Nosler either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do like the accubond! I paln to try them in my 30/06 in the future. I wish they made them in more than like four calibers. But I do own all most all the calibers for which they make bullets. Go figure. I still think for the big boys there is the solids. For the plains game and big deer and bears I would go with the Partion or the X-Bullet. And for the smaller stuff a plain ol' Remington Core-lock will do for me. I havn't meet a deer that can survive if I hit them right. If there was only one bullet this board would have never had the success it seems to be enjoying. LLB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tall order, building the perfect bullet. Okay, my .02 worth...

Figure out how to make a boat tail penetrate like a RN solid. ie. straight and deep. I dunno.

Figure out how to move CG forward so long bullets don't need a fast twist. Have a couple of ideas on this one.

Figure out how to offer mushroom(or equivalent) from very low velocities to very high without fragmenting the bullet, say 1000-4500 fps. I'm clueless.

No metal fouling allowed. Really good barrels are probably the best bet.

BC at or above 1.0 Not hard with a .50 Cal AMAX

Figure out how to have perfect balance on all axis of the bullet, throw in flawless symetry while you're at it, as both detract from accuracy and BC. Ain't been done yet, least not on purpose.

Exotic metals are fine as long as the above items are not sacrificed. They are expensive, but kudos to the Army in regards to the M1 main gun. Those darts don't expand much on thin skinned game I'm guessing...

There is nothing wrong with brain storming, but a lot of fine minds have mulled this over. It's a tough one.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote