Find
Notify
Tools

mini 14 Reload
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bob da Builder
posted
Im just getting into reloading and was wondering what bullets and powder would work best for my mini 14

"Do a good turn daily"
Eagle Scout, Troop 215

Posts: 31 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using BLC2 and 55 gr bullets, all makes, for years in my mini.
Recently bought some of the new CFE powder but haven't really tested it for accuracy/velocity yet.
I don't do anything special, no small base dies or such. Never had a problem except finding my brass since my mini throws it to hell and gone.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Burgie
posted Hide Post
Hey Pancho, a guy at the shooting range had a good idea to save his brass when shooting his mini-14. He hooked his ball cap hat band on his scope and all his brass went into his cap and into a box he had on the bench. I have tried it and it works well for me. Just a good idea if you care to try it.........burgie out..............

one of us
posted Hide Post
My mini rides around in the dirt and dust with me and has to be ready on a moments notice. Wiley knows and usually takes off as soon as hears my Dodge. Usually, I don't take time to "ball cap" it. My buddies that don't reload know so they hand brass to me in grocery bags. I installed a Leupy 1.5x5x20, really makes it a shooter.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Burgie:
Hey Pancho, a guy at the shooting range had a good idea to save his brass when shooting his mini-14. He hooked his ball cap hat band on his scope and all his brass went into his cap and into a box he had on the bench. I have tried it and it works well for me. Just a good idea if you care to try it.........burgie out..............

Like this.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
My mini-14 has dumped a bunch of 'Yotes with a 52gr Speer HP over IMR4895 & CCI primers. Mine actually shoots quite well with it, and that bullet works on song dogs like nobodys business.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried H4895, Varget, Re15, and Tac. IIRC H4895 was best.

Picture of Burgie
posted Hide Post
Yeah steve, just like that!!!! That is a good clear photo of the hat on the scope.

I load my cases with 748 powder and it works well for me. Tried a few other powders but went back to good ole 748..........burgie out.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply, i'll try that 4895

"Do a good turn daily"
Eagle Scout, Troop 215

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bob, I rechecked my groups, and Varget was best with the 68/69 match bullets. Re15 did very well with 62-gr tsx. 5-shot, 1-inch groups at 50-yds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1979 vintage Mini liked 55-grain Hornadys and 27 grains of W748. It would group under 1.5 moa for 5-shot groups without a scope. That was when my eyesight was 20-5 in my right eye......

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 70 Grain TSX as a tester bullet. Do you think i should run those or save them for a different rifle. And do you think it could hurt my barrel.

"Do a good turn daily"
Eagle Scout, Troop 215

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
You may find the 70 is a bit long and hard to stabilize. My Mini is a 181 series and doesn't have a fast enough twist to do well with really long bullets.

Twist rate is vital to know for matching the bullet.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think my mini is a 580 series

"Do a good turn daily"
Eagle Scout, Troop 215

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob da Builder:
I think my mini is a 580 series

Easy way to tell, look at the serial number, first three digits. Then go to Ruger's web site and find your twist rate.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just started reloading for my Mini-14. Loaded up a starter batch of Hornady 55gr FMJ, with 22.0 gr's of Benchmark.

Glad I stumbled upon this thread, as I was trying to figure a way to catch my brass--as my Ranch Rifle throws brass like crazy.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
CFE223 is supposed to be the cats pajamas in semi auto's. I bought the last two cans they had from the same lot, but have not had time to play with it yet.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
CFE223 is supposed to be the cats pajamas in semi auto's. I bought the last two cans they had from the same lot, but have not had time to play with it yet.

Nate,

Who makes CFE223? Never heard of it before.

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post