THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What has happened to the market in pre fired, range-pickup brass?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What has happened to the market in pre fired, range-pickup brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted
I've been out of the loop for a while. I've been too busy to shoot or reload so I haven't been looking for deals in brass. Now that I have some time I am having trouble finding pre-fired brass for sale. I'm not looking to buy, I'm looking to sell but I don't know what brass is going for. I'm wondering if brass got so scarce that no one is selling. How much can I sell shells for now?

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Worth far more if you give them to a friend (not me). Otherwise, ten bucks a box? Multiple tens for scarce chamberings? I don't need anything, but .416 Rigby would be worth a dollar each and I'd bet something common would be worth buying loaded ammo to get the brass.

2 cents

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if that means that everyone has all of the pistol brass that they need.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a brass seller, the market has really gone dead. Dead for regular common brass.
The hue, cry, fear and fury have gone silent for the time being.
Now for hard to find rare, unusual brass, there is always market, always demand.
But it's a different market segment.

to sell brass successfully, it's need to be marketed (ads) heavily to get your name out there. and it's needs to be clean and excellent

my .02

DV

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it all depends on which caliber brass you are selling. It will sell for scrap brass price, up to several dollars a piece if you have some 8 bore shells to sell.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
I have a variety. I know that I have a lot of 9mm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen anywhere from $5-10/100 for pistol such as 40S&W, 9mm, .45 ACP and .38 Super. Add another $0.50-1.00 for nickel.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that once fired brass is now available but new factory brass is still fairly scarce. You just have to wonder where it is all going?
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Processed 9mm goes for about $45/500 and that includes washed; sized, decapped, swaged, and washed again. I certainly would not pay more than that for 9MM. 40 S&W runs about the same, IF you buy it in 1000 quantity. Like you said, not much market any more. In a lot of cases, the bullets are higher than the brass, by far.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Larry. It sounds like it is better to buy new brass or new loads to shoot and then reload. It seems like there would be a bigger market for reloading components since it is so hard to get factory loads right now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guy is selling pistol brass in the classifieds here for about $50/1000.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess it depends on where you live. I been selling medium flat rate boxes full of once fired .223 brass (about 1600 to the box))
Couldn't sell a box online for the last six months. Tried selling them for $75 a box before leaving Alaska and struck out as well.
After moving to Colorado put them on craigslist for $175 a box and sold all but two boxes.
Go figure, raise the price then they sell.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote