New
Find
Notify
Tools

.358 Norma Mag – My all-round favorite
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For almost 10 years now, Iv been using the .358NM for Norwegian midsize and big game. It has to be one of the most efficient cartridge ever made. I achieve 2830 ft/sec with a 250 grs Swift. That is with 81 grs RP15(Not RL 15. RP 15 is very similar to Norma MRP).

I guess the NM is very suitable for big game all over the world. Experiences and opinions?

Pete

Posts: 106 | Location: Telemark, Norway | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Moremonte
posted Hide Post
I have & used this round to take several elk in late 80's and early 90's.My load was 250gr Hornady RN and 77grs 4350 @2850fps.Worked like magic.

Posts: 2038 | Location: Grove,OK. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Taking mine on its first elk hunt in a couple of months, with 280gr. Swifts.

Glad to see here it's enough gun for elk. [Smile]

Going to chrono the load this weekend. It's Hornady book max for the 290gr. and shoots 1.25 MOA.

Mine's a Mauser conversion and has been some trouble to get feeding right. I tried to get an in-line conversion mag from Brownell's but they are factory discontinued. I had to work on the left side quite a bit and ramp it, but now the rounds stay put even with hard racking and severe blows with the bolt open.

My next just-for-kicks ( [Smile] ) project, a lightweight BLR in .358 Norma. (Maybe a BAR Stalker .338 to .358 Norma but the rebarrel might be pricey with the gas system.)

[ 07-31-2002, 17:42: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I am a .358 fan. I shoot a .358 STA and get excellent results with 225 gr, 250 gr, and 270 gr. North Fork bullets. Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it's certainly enough gun for anything on his continent. I really like mine. That 358 BAR idea sounds interesting. Perhaps a re-bore would work with the gas ports. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Mads>
posted
Well I've always dreamed of a schultz and Larsen model 68 in .358 Norma Magnum - but it still stays with the dream!

Pete could you tell something more about the RP15 powder?

Regards

Mads

<458Wby>
posted
Hey .358PCAK.
I belive you'll be standing ready, in the store, when the new issue of "Vaapentidningen" comes out!
Have you seen what one of the headlines is?? [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mads, the RP 15 is mostly sold to people whom shoot a whole lot(competing). The powder is cheaper than other powder, but the burning speed/density can various a little from lot to lot. Therefor I use to buy 3 � 6 kg a time from the same lot, and �climb the ladder� to get loads for those kilos bought. By the way, I have to say that I haven�t found any big differences between different lots. I use the RP 15 in my 6,5 x55 too, and there I get exactly the same velocity/pressure with RP 15 as I get with Norma MRP.

Arild, do you say there is an article about the Norma Mag in latest issue of �Vaapentidningen� [Eek!]

Pete

[ 08-01-2002, 14:13: Message edited by: .358PCAK ]

Posts: 106 | Location: Telemark, Norway | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mads,

It's too bad you're on the other side of the pond. I have 2 Schultz and Larsen Model 65DL's in 358 NM and one of them is for sale. Hopefully someone over here in the states will recognize what a great gun the S&L is.

Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Mads>
posted
Brian: Yes that is a shame.

How much will you sell the rifle for in the States?

Regards

Mads

[ 08-03-2002, 16:40: Message edited by: Mads ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you maximize this round's potential with a 22" barrel or do you need to go to a 24"? Seems alot of .338 Wins are factory 24's but with the larger bore/case capacity it seems like the shorter barrel might not cost as much velocity. Real interested in the caliber.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
<458Wby>
posted
Hi Peter.
The latest issue they've tested the 9,3x62, but the next issue (not out yet) have the 358 NM as a headline!! [Wink]