Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Factory Crimp w/ Barnes X bullets.
 Login/Join

<Loren>
posted
Has anyone tried crimping Barnes X bullets
with a Lee factory crimp die? I wonder if the crimp might give enough of a pressure boost to help accuracy. I'm not sure if these bullets would be too hard to crimp, though.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Loren, I posted a response to this question on your other thread in the Big Game section.

Regards, Brad

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have with both the 25-06 and 7mm STW. In both cases I used a 1/4 turn of the crimp die and groups shrunk, in the 7mm STW's case, the groups were cut from 1.5" to .75", making a rifle that was giving me serious headaches breaking the 1" mark into one I could live with. In the .25-06's case, it shrunk .500 groups to .330". Just don't crimp too much. At 1/2 turn crimp both rifles had their groups open up to over two inches, a bit too much of a good thing. I also use a 1/4 turn crimp on the 375 H&H with the X bullet. While this bullet has a crimp groove, it is not where I want it and I have not shot this bullet without the crimp so I don't know if no crimp would help or hurt. All I do know is with the 1/4 turn crimp this rifle shoots 5 250 gr. X bullets into .8 inches at 100 so why mess with it?

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote