THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What exactly is Imperial Sizing Die Wax ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is this stuff just used for reloading or does it have some other industrial use? I haven't been able to find it at any of the reloading shops in Tulsa. I am getting ready to neck down a bunch of 444 Marlin's for for my .308 Bellm and thought I would give it a try since it sounds like such a good lube.

Thanks

Dennis

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only seen it used for reloading. I currently use it and highly recommend it. Check out some of the internet sites for ordering. Midway, Midsouth, Sinclair, etc. You won't be disappointed, plus it lasts a long time.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jethro, I tried it and it lubes cases as it advertises. Just not sure why to use it? It was sent free by a guy I bought some brass off of. It seems hard to lube cases. Maybe I am doing it wrong. How do you use it? Its not like RCBS where you quirt it on the lube pad. Do you wipe it on the lube pad or put on a cloth then wipe each peice of brass? I have been using the hornady 1 min stuff with good luck for the past year.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DennisF: I can not answer your specific question as I do not know exactly what the Imperial Sizing Wax is or is made of. It might be Beeswax?
All I do know is that it is the best sizing lubricant I have ever used in 40 years of reloading centerfire ammunition! And I think I have tried them all. I simply won't waste time trying anything else the rest of my reloading life. I have been using the Imperial for about 9 years now and am sold on the stuff. Among other attributes that I can not prove but am convinced of the Imperial wax, I think is responsible for less brass corrosion, less brass stretching (longer case life?) and fewer stuck cases!
In brief how I use it is: I dab my right index finger tip into the Imperial tin lightly then I touch that finger tip to the case mouth (this provides ample lube for the expander ball to do its work) then I twirl that finger tip and right thumb tip around the neck and body of the case. Lubrication is done in just a couple of seconds. Keep that right index finger tip and tip of your thumb away from your press handle (it will be easy to do after a few sessions). I resize, then use a fluffy old towel to wipe the Imperial wax off the sized case. I do not bother to remove the slight wax film inside the case neck.
Let me know if I can be of more assistance or clarify my application process for you. Be sure and try some for yourself - it is cheap and I think a superb product. I bought my Imperial Wax from Russ Haydons Shooters Supply upon his recommendation. I am sure he still carries it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

. . . In brief how I use it is: I dab my right index finger tip into the Imperial tin lightly then I touch that finger tip to the case mouth (this provides ample lube for the expander ball to do its work) then I twirl that finger tip and right thumb tip around the neck and body of the case. . . .

If you can admit to it, I will too.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that's what the Queen of England calls KY Jelly...

Posts: 5853 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TumbleWeed,

You are one sick puppy , but I like it (or is it I lick it?)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this stuff sounds like the best thing since sliced bread, I ordered some from Arms and Ammo today (along with some 45-70 brass). I have been using One Shot or the RCBS equivalent for all of my normal resizing and they work fine for just normal FL or neck sizing, but I am trying to find something for necking down .444 Marlins to .308 that works better than One Shot and is cleaner than rolling a case on the DREADED PAD . I have 3 lube pads and several bottles of pad lube, but I haven't used any of them in the last 10 to 15 years (that stuff is nasty).

one of us
posted Hide Post
BC, I use it the exact same way VarmintGuy detailed. The neat thing is that it takes very little to do the job. Depending on the cases I'm sizing, I may only apply it to every second or third case. One dab on your fingers will last 2-3 cases. It also comes off very easily as well. Bottom line great product.

Now to use it as a substitute for KY is another issue. I don't think they sell it in 5 gallon buckets.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
>I haven't been able to find it at any of the reloading shops in Tulsa.<

You can try Williams Shooting Supply in Thalequah 456-4599. Last time I looked, they had some. What's the matter with Dong's?

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use it like Jethro and Varmit guy. I take the expander ball out clean the die with Gunscrubber. Lightly lube the expander and away we go. They go straight to the tumbler. If you do not take the die apart, after about 5 cases you can get away with every 2nd or 3rd one. I stuck a case with RCBS lube and pad and have wrinkle a few shoulders with it. I tossed the pad after using Imperial once. It will last forever. I have loaded at least 500 cases on this can and it still looks new. They should send me some free stuff becuase I push their product to everyone I know who reloads.

one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
Guys
Imperial Sizing Die Wax is or was made in Newark, Ohio by the E-Z Way Systems.I have been fortunate enough to meet the Owner of the Company.He has since sold the Business to Redding Die Company.He used to make some for them using their own label.But they bought him out the past fall i believe??? But here is his website http://www.jcunard.com/
He is a very nice Gentleman, and a great guy to deal with!
He shoots 1000 yard black powder shoots now and has shot most of everything at on time or another.Check his website out.He always has some interesting guns online
muskrat
live to shoot-shoot to live!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to second what muskrat stated.

You will never meet a nicer gentleman than Joe Hepsworth. He is a great person to deal with and always has interesting items and a few good deals in his shop. However, finding his shop can be challenging if you are not from the Newark area. He is located in a little niche down a narrow alley near the center of town. (Easy for us locals, but you foreigners who live outside the Muskingum / Licking area tend to have problems.)

However, it's worth the time it takes to find it.

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

. . . In brief how I use it is: I dab my right index finger tip into the Imperial tin lightly then I touch that finger tip to the case mouth (this provides ample lube for the expander ball to do its work) then I twirl that finger tip and right thumb tip around the neck and body of the case. . . .

If you can admit to it, I will too.

Yup I admit it too. I usually use it if I have to make like 6-12 rounds for a load verification purpose. Basically a quickie not, a long drawn out reloading session. I use the above method wipe the cases down with a dry rag and go. Never ever ever contaminated powder or primers.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geo.,

I've called every gun shop in Tulsa (Even Dong's) that I could think of handles reloading equipment and can't find it, I used to go Dong's because if nobody else carried something you could usually find it there (if you were willing to dig through the clutter). Since old man Dong died things have changed quite a bit. I have some on order from Arms and Ammo and it should be here by the end of the week. Where is Williams in Tahlequah? Is it the one South of town heading toward Muskogee?

HornetFan,

For cleaning dies I started using B12 ChemTool, it is about the same thing as Gun Scrubber, cleans just as good or better, and costs a whole bunch less.

Thanks

Dennis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Williams and make sure he has it on the shelf before you travel. Williams is sort of south of town, but mostly it is on the south side of town now. It is on virtually the same intersection as the First State Bank--tht is 4th and Muskogee. There are 5 streets that come together right there and the south part of it on the east side forms a wedge. In that wedge is a women's nails business, a propane dealer and Williams. If you came in on 51, you would drive to Muskogee (second light) and turn right(south). Go until you see the First State Bank on the left. At that light, turn left--then immediately right. Go past the nails shop and you will be at the back doors of the propane shop and Williams. Everybody uses the back door. Really nice people that have a small shop and a decent gunsmith. 918-456-4599 and ask for Richard, Beverly, or Tony. Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, guys, what do I gain by using this sizing wax over Hornady one shot? If all I plan to do is full length size. Not neck down anything? I am just curious on its strengths?

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using it for years and a can last for years..Use it sparingly on the fingers....It works best for the tough jobs, It works a little better than most stuff IMO...but Le Clair is just as good I guess....Vasaline, KY even Prep. H works for simple resizing..Lube is lube...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's great stuff. A little can will last a long, long time. Since I've been using the Lee Collet neck dies, however, I don't have to lube my cases at all. By the time I do need to full length resize I just buy a new batch of brass and toss the old ones out. I haven't full length resized anything in a couple of years now.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the gun shops don't sell this stuff simply because there's not much money to be made on it. Once they sell a can to someone, it's years before they will sell him another. I've had mine for 2 years now and I don't expect to buy another anytime soon. Unlike others have stated, I will buy another can at some point, as I am generous when it comes to lubing my cases. 2 stuck cases using Lee Lube has convinced me to not take any chances!

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
Bigcountry
Not to start any arguement here, but I have had several stuck cases with the One Shot, and I still use it too.But never have I had a stuch case with Imperial!I do like to use them both though together.A quick shot of One Shot on the case mouths and then imperial on the sides of the case.This is just the way I found to work best for me - Then I wipe each and every case off with a clean towl again this is IMHO.Do it anyway it works best for you!
muskrat
live to shoot-shoot to live!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No argument here. I just have a can of this wax and really couldn't figure out why I should use it. A guy sent me some for free when I bought a bunch of brass and stuff. I will keep in mind with the one shot. I have not had a problem, but am sure I might one day. If there is something bad that can happen with reloading, it will happen to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I stuck a .308 Norma Mag case once with One Shot, that is the only round I use a pad for, but since I received my Imperial Die Sizing wax today and tried it out, my pad will be put in storage.