Find
Notify
Tools

45 acp bolt rifle loading data
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted
Has anyone experimented with one of the 45 acp bolt action conversions. I'm interested in some loading data for the 45 acp using a bolt action rifle, and would like to be able to get some sort of a group at 100 yards?

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Google is your friend sometimes: see .45ACP carbine loads

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Virtually all the published loading data for the .45ACP will be at SAAMI pressures in the Marlin Carbine. The .45ACP case is very small, and pressures can build quickly as you increase above SAAMI. But if you are interested in groups, the consider using .45LC bullets. Most of them have longer bearing surfaces (compared to most .45ACP bullets) for better alignment in the throat and barrel, resulting in improved accuracy. The 240-grain Sierra would be a good one to try. What kind of accuracy are you looking for? The best loads in my Marlin gave 4 moa groups at 100 yards. That's plenty good for small deer at that range.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
So far the best I've got was with the cheap Wolf 230 ball ammo out of a 16" barrel.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote