New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northfork Cup point solids in 375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to try loading some Northfork 300 grain cup point solids in my 375 H&H for an upcoming buffalo hunt. Anyone have any loads or data they can share? thanks, 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kambaku
posted Hide Post
Northfork recommends RL15 for this load with a starting load of 64gr and 69gr maximum. Their expected velocity is 2450fps with the starting load and 2560 fps with the max load. There are many things that effect velocity, however, these ranges with this powder are acceptable and safe.

Generally I find that approximately 1gr. less powder (with the solids) gives me similar velocities as compared to my loads with their SS bullets. So if you have data on Northfork's SS bullets in your rifle you have something to go by.

You did not state what powder you intended to use, however, simply for reference sake all of my data with the 375 is with RL15 which performed well for me.

I am more curious to know why you choose the Cup Point Solids vs the Flat Point. But then again that's a personal choice and I won't get into an argument on that.

Posts: 60 | Location: Indianapolis, only because that's where the check came from! | Registered: 21 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load & shoot 270 grain TSX out of my 375 H&H. RL15 is all I use and I have plenty on hand. I've never used solids but I am told that my PH on an upcoming buffalo hunt prefers them. I'm sure he knows his business so I will comply. I have no particular reason for choosing the cup point other than I like the idea of at least a bit of expansion. I'd love to hear the pro vs. cons on cup vs. flat point. Many thanks for the info and your time in posting it. 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
In my rifle with R-15 I had to exceed 69gr to get 2550. It is a one hole load and I get no signs of excessive presure.

Look at the Barnes Banded solid data in the Barnes book for what I consider max with R-15 for 300 gr NF solids.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kambaku
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
In my rifle with R-15 I had to exceed 69gr to get 2550.

I will agree with you on this point. I have a lot of data with RL15 in the 375 with 300gr bullets from many manufactures. All loads have gone through my Oehler. There are so many factors that effect velocity beyond charge weight, but in my experience with my rifles, I too have to push 69gr to get beyond 2500fps. But velocity is only one factor in the equation. I'd much rather push it a bit slower and build an accurate/safe round. Your brass will tell you if you're in an acceptable range. Velocities quoted from loading manuals are just for frame of reference.

Posts: 60 | Location: Indianapolis, only because that's where the check came from! | Registered: 21 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I never used the Northfork. I did use some 300gr Barnes. RL15 was the powder I ended up with. I never got to 2500 with it as I remember.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't address your question directly about your.375. However, I use NF's in my .338 WM. The general rule for NF's is to drop your powder charge by about 8% then gradually work the powder charge up until you reach the velocity you had with your original bullet. For me, this was about 1 gr. below what I used with my original bullet.
I've found that Load workup for the NF is quite easy & straight forward.
Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kambaku:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
In my rifle with R-15 I had to exceed 69gr to get 2550.

I will agree with you on this point. I have a lot of data with RL15 in the 375 with 300gr bullets from many manufactures. All loads have gone through my Oehler. There are so many factors that effect velocity beyond charge weight, but in my experience with my rifles, I too have to push 69gr to get beyond 2500fps. But velocity is only one factor in the equation. I'd much rather push it a bit slower and build an accurate/safe round. Your brass will tell you if you're in an acceptable range. Velocities quoted from loading manuals are just for frame of reference.

I shoot 73gr of "the R-15 I have on hand" under that bullet and Barnes as well. That NF will likely give you less pressure/velocity than a TSX or a Barnes Banded solid...based on info I have seen.

In "my rifle" with the "the R-15 I have on hand" the brass tells me it is fine. With the TSX and BBS...73gr gives me ~2550 fps. Every good bullet I put in front of that 73 gr load of R-15 seems to shoot well in this rifle.

Measured the vel of those loads in 100 degree TX summer. Never got around to measuring the vel of the NF solid.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
From Barnes Manual

Bullet Weight: 300 gr Case Trim Length: 2.840" S.D. 0.305
Bullet Style: Banded Solid Primer: Fed GM215M B.C. 0.307
COAL: 3.575" Barrel Length: 24"
Case: R-P Twist Rate: 1:12"
Charge Velocity Charge Velocity Load
Powder (grains) (fps) (grains) (fps) Density (%)
H4895 64.5 2485 71.5 2654 96
RL 15 69.5 2563 76.5 2735 102
Minimum Maximum
Minimum Maximum
Minimum Maximum

Bullet Weight: 300 gr Case Trim Length: 2.840" S.D. 0.305
Bullet Style: TSX FB Primer: Fed GM215M B.C. 0.357
COAL: 3.570" Barrel Length: 24"
Case: R-P Twist Rate: 1:12"
Charge Velocity Charge Velocity Load
Powder (grains) (fps) (grains) (fps) Density (%)
VIT N540 68.0 2455 75.0 2655 100
RL 15 65.0 2403 71.5 2589 101

J. Lane Easter, DVM