Find
Notify
Tools

Data 85 Powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BillCx55
posted
OK, since the data 86 is gone now and I missed the boat, has anyone tried the Data 85 that both Graf's and Powder Valley has in stock? I realize it is a ball that is near Ramshot Hunter in burn speed. That should put it very close in speed to RL 19 too.
I am shooting almost every common cartridge from 243 through 338 Win Mag. It's a habit that I am dealing with, but not very well according to my wife!!
Any input or data would be great. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 41 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillCx55:

Any input or data would be great. Thanks in advance.

I'll second that. leftyroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BillCx55
posted Hide Post
Well, Bartsche I guess no one wants to talk to us about this powder. I went ahead and took the plunge. Got 3 8#'ers coming for me and one for my dad. Hope it shoots, cause I gots lots. I'm not too worried though. It will shoot good in something. I think the days of cheap powder are coming to an end. Just my opinion.
Seriously, if someone has used this Data #85 and has any good data, please let us know. Thanks again.

Posts: 41 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillCx55:
Well, Bartsche I guess no one wants to talk to us about this powder. Seriously, if someone has used this Data #85 and has any good data, please let us know. Thanks again.

I think there is a general hesitancy about investing in 8# containers of surplus powders. So far the only time I got bit was with a jug of 4895.It had deteriorated badly into some nitric or nitrous compound.It was a really bad scene. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got 60's pull down IMR4895 8 years ago in 8 pound jugs. It is still fresh and getting great groups. The smell of solvents and lack of red tell the story.

Keep the lid on tight.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BillCx55
posted Hide Post
From what I've read this is new surplus powder, probably commercial contract excess. Same with most of the AA Data powders. No need to worry about deterioration for quite some time. As tnekkcc said, Keep the lid on tight and load it 20 years from now with the same results as today.
I was just wondering about performance in some of the more common calibers. Specifically 243 Win, .270 Win, 30-06, 6.5x55, 338 WM, etc.

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Guys, as far as I know this powder has only been available for 10 day's or so. How much info do you expect to gather in that amount of time? I'm sure when it gets out and reloaders are using it, they will share their thoughts. I won't need it for a while(lots of 86).

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I e-mailed them and got this response....

Sir,

I'm sorry for the slow respoonse but I have been out of the office for the
last 2 weeks. If you have not already had a response to this email DP 85
is similar to Ramshot Hunter. You can use the published data as a start
point for loading with this powder.

You should be able to go to the Ramshot website and get their info on the Ramshot Hunter for most any caliber......good luck shooting.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BillCx55
posted Hide Post
Pointblank,
Actually, Graf's has had this powder for about a year. Powder Valley must have just posted it to their website in the last week to 10 days since they ran out of #86. Who knows, maybe they bought a bunch from Graf's? No biggie, I'll just work up some loads and post my info to this thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this stuff has been out for a year, surely sombody here has tried it. Anybody?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote