Find
Notify
Tools

Quick question- pulled bullets.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
Quick question. I've charged the wrong weight in ±20 rounds luckily realised it before shooting them. Do I need to resize the necks again or just recharge and seat the bullet?

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Resize the necks of the cases you pulled the bullets.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Resize the necks of the cases you pulled the bullets.

tu2 While you might get by without resizing your neck tension will be much more uniform with a quick pass through the die.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that ones is better ff resizing the necks on rounds that I have pulled bullets from.

Posts: 19447 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just pull out the decapping rod and resize.
It eliminates any questions.

Gary

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
No you don't have to resize

The neck ID after pulling the bullets will be .002" below caliber and that is perfect for bullet grip

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods makes a good point. Why not get out your measuring stick and see how big the necks are with the bullets in them and how big are they after you pull the bullet.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
If I gauge outer neck dia. .002" difference. Being a hunting load in .338wm I don't think it's going to have any significant effect on accuracy. I'll see at the range I get .6-.7" groups at 100m. The other day I won a bet after taking out a 2mm thick fence wire within 3 shots @ 120m- it to the second shot.

Thanks for the replies and advice - always appreciated!

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I did a test a few years ago to get some data on the elasticity of brass

I resized necks on a 375 Ruger case without the expander in a regular full length die so that the ID was exceedingly small, like .010" below caliber IIRC (can't find that pic).

Here is the pic of the seated bullet

Then I pulled the bullet

and gauged the ID with a pin gauge

and it was .373"

I did the same thing on a couple of other calibers with sized necks ranging from .003" to .006" and all of them returned to exactly .002" below caliber

Quite frankly if you don't use a Lee Collet then a good method of getting a very consistant ID for a completely consistant bullet grip would be to seat bullets in the case, pull them and then reseat without sizing

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote