New
Find
Notify
Tools

Die To Size Down .277 Bullets To .264??
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
We have an extraordinary amount of 27 caliber bullets, and hardly anyone uses them.

We also have so many people using 264 caliber rifles.

I thought of doing the above and was wondering if there is such a die.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Check around for a Lee sizing or swaging die. I found one in .410" for my 400 Whelen that swages .416 bullets down to .411" (I'm getting a little spring back from the .410 die to .411)
Lee seems to have a comprehensive list of sizing or swaging dies.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I tried this years ago with both a single draw die and a two-step draw and was never able to get the 277s to emerge even as 268s without being bent. Dang.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would think you would need two steps at least maybe three.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have used Lee’s in the past but not for this big of step. I would call Corbin and talk with them.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpesteve:
I tried this years ago with both a single draw die and a two-step draw and was never able to get the 277s to emerge even as 268s without being bent. Dang.

Frowner I had the exact same experience swagging .308 bullets down to fit the 7.35 Carcano. I think, however it was partly due to my home made swagging die. thumbdown
Roll Eyes I think, perhaps, Saeed that you have the talent available to make a series of step down dies to get the job done right. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed...I've always had a doubt on swaging down jacketed bullets. From a fear that the copper jacket would after swaging spring back from the lead core.

So bumping UP to a larger diameter is OK. (Such as .284" bullets up to .288" for the .280 Ross). But swaging down jacketed bullets I am not so sure of.

So that's my input in this wander around to this part of your AR site that exists outside of the known universe that is the Political Forum!

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

If I may be so bold to suggest you consider making a 6.8x55 Wildcat (.270 Swede) based on the 6.5 Swede cartridge so we all could see if the 6.5 bullet is magic or the Swede case internal ballistics contribute to the accuracy legend. This would solve your bullet supply issue and provide fascinating AR reading!

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Saeed,

If I may be so bold to suggest you consider making a 6.8x55 Wildcat (.270 Swede) based on the 6.5 Swede cartridge so we all could see if the 6.5 bullet is magic or the Swede case internal ballistics contribute to the accuracy legend. This would solve your bullet supply issue and provide fascinating AR reading!

That is a great idea!!!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote