Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PACT Scale/Dispenser Combo??
 Login/Join

posted
anybody use one of these? and if so how do you like it?

thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one, and I like it fairly well. It does what it's supposed to. You have to run it for a couple of minutes to let it "learn" the metering rate of the powder, then it's ready to drop however many grains you program it for. Changing powders takes a few minutes.

I find myself using scoops and the trickler a lot to work up loads with different powders.

Steve

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of these also, while it is a good accurate deal I also find myself doing most of my big bore loads with just the scale and trickler also. And for varmint loads I use a powder measure, and scale every 7-10 loads to see if it is still measuring accurately.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one and like it. I've had one for a couple of years and popped for the upgrade for faster powder dispensing. It makes a big differance. The new one throws 75 - 80 gr. loads in about 16 to 20 secs. In about the time it takes to seat a bullet and crimp another charge is ready to go.

Drawbacks...

It does take time for the calibration process and emptying the powder hopper takes a bit of shaking. Also it takes about 3 to 4 loads before the it settles down and throws consistant loads (learning process?). The scale is also sensitive to drafts. Mine sits in a small cut down (cardboard) box for that reason.

The manual also says it has a 30 min. "warm up" time but that's not an issue for me as I leave the scale on all the time.

It's not perfect but since I got it I haven't used my beam scale except for a couple of times to check it's loads. And they've always been +/- .1 gr.

I'd say (for me) it's about an 8.5 on a scale (no pun intended) of 0 - 10.

Hope that helps...

Roi

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I really like it. I'll never go back to beam scales. I use a $5 Forster I got at a garage sale to dump the bulk of my powder into the pan, and then I use the dispenser as a trickler. It can perform a complete cycle this way in about 3-4 seconds, and is actually the way RCBS recommends using their electronic scale and dispenser. I rigged a drop tube on my progressive press in place of the automated powder drop; this process keeps up with my progressive press and allows me to measure each charge.