New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trees and 444s:
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally got out and had a chance to test Blue Dot loads with the 444. I always use a tree for a back stop even if I am way out in the woods in a mountainous area. It is just further safety.

Some of the penetration capabilities of some of these bullets during chronograph testing has really surprised me. Posting some of the results have also gotten me emails on some guys telling me what an idiot I am. However I see what I see.
It surprising me is why I post it and share it.

Using a 444 and Hornady XTPs didn't surprise me. Velocity does not seem to be a concern of the XTP bullet at all. For those that think they need "enough gun", and anything under a 300 Mag is for gophers, I have to conclude and concur with them, if hit by a 444 shell in the right spot, if the animal does not go down, you have a lot bigger problems to worry about.
The animal would have to weigh as much as a 53 Buick and have enough teeth to qualify as a land going shark, .... and is hungry and pissed.

This round will make believers out of non believers.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
The suspense... so, how did the XTPs perform????

Which ones and how much penetration?

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

Are there still a bunch of horned owl greenie goupies in oregon? If so, you might be carefull what with all the trees your shootin up. You might wake up one morning with a bunch of owl shit in yer driveway.

Id love to have a 444, just two days ago I was contemplating the possibilities of turning a Mosin Nagant into one. Having a tough time finding the right bbl though.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, 9.3 x 62,

If you load up a 300 grain XTP in a 444, I'd just call it a day!

The penetration just seems to leave a big hole on the front side of the tree and a lot of tooth picks on the back side of it.

Abundance of sawdust also!

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Western:

That is why you use a PO Box as and address. Let them deliver the owl shit down to the Post Office and let them government "liberal" types clean it all up.

Our Green Peace idiots are too busy protesting down at the Forest Service and justifying their otherwise useless existance, if they are not at home collecting welfare and getting stoned.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire