Find
Notify
Tools

358 Win: load for 200 grain bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I have always used the 225 gr Sierra in my 358. Just thought I would give a 200 grainer a try, perhaps flattening trajectory a little for longer range deer. Anyone have a good load for a pointed 200 grain bullet at 2650-2700 fps (22" bbl)? I am currently getting about 2500 with the 225. Moreover, I know the 225 works well out to 300 yards if sighted 3" high at 100yds, just trying to flatten thingd a little.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr.Lou, I have been using the 200gr Hornady Spitzer for a few years, it is a flexible performer in a wide velocity range. I load it in a 35 Rem, 358 Win. and a 350 Rem Mag. I have never recovered a bullet and have always had good expansion. In the 358 I have a few vaforites, IMR4320, IMR4064, IMR3031 & AA2015. They have all performed very well but my rifle prefers the IMR4064 best, WLR primers and WW cases. The biggest problem I had was getting enough powder in tha cases since they bulk out relatively quickly, using factory brass was a big help since prior to that I was using reformed 308 brass that was too thick and that made matters worse, I suggest you use the quickest burning powder that gives you top velocity and accuracy, the slower burning powders might give you good accuracy but you will bulk out before you get to the max load. Oh I forgot all these calibers are used for Saskatchewan deer hunting in the cold months of Nov-Dec.
bigbull

Posts: 403 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much what Bigbull said. win cases win lr primers and 200 gr Hornady spire pt. I have one of the original Sav 99 F rifles and it likes IMR 3031 & 4895. Normally I use the 4895. Excellent late season rifle in the bush deer elk or moose. Late season in Manitoba is the same as Saskatchewan.......Cold !

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
What velocities are you getting using those powders with the 200 gr Speer?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr Lou Speer makes a 35 cal 180 gr and 220 gr fp bullet and a 250 gr spitzer and a 250 gr GS bullet. I don't believe they make a 200 gr bullet??? Can you clarify.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I meant Hornady.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr.Lou, I have not chrono'd the loads, they are very safe in my rifle (M70 w/20"bbl.), the slower burning powders have not allowed me to load to max with the 200 gr's because they bulk out. This is why in my previous post I reccomended to use the fastest burning powder that will give you speed and accuracy therefore avoiding the agravation of bulking out, unless you are only interested in accuracy then the lower velocity of the slow burners won't be a bother for you. Ball powders really come into their own for these type of calibers, none have given me good accuracy but others have had great results with 748 and H335, worth a try.
bigbull

Posts: 403 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pet load for my older .358 BLR is: 47G IMR3031, win primer, 200gr Hornady RN. I am sure it isn't the hottest load,( its over the hornady max but under the sierra max with no pressure signs) but at 1MOA I am pretty satisfied using it as a woods load.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote