450 Bushmaster
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted
Just got one.
Brass and dies arrived.
I have Hornady XTP anf FTX bullets.

Anybody have experience with Berrys plated bullets in 0.452 ?
They say don't exceed 1250 fps.

Regards
Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Isn't the .452 a pistol bullet? I think that's the reason for the 1250 fps caution. I would think the 450 Bushmaster would take .458 bullets.

But I have no experience here, just wondering.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No the 450 bushmaster is a pistol bullet thrower. Probably thinking of the 458 Socom, which is a true 458 rifle bullet user. I believe they now make a tougher pistol size bullet for use in the 450. I do not own one. Try them and the worse you will have is needing to clean the lead out of your gas port. I would try them.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DULLTOOL17...the 450 BM is .452" cal....NOT 0.458" Roll Eyes Confused

NITRO...Midway has several good bullets available for the velo produced by the 450 BM besides the Hornady bullets...PLUS Fury Bullets have several configurations and weights that I've tried and so far they all work very well...but DON'T use the LEHIGH Extreme Defense/Penetrator bullets in an AR platform...they hand up in the barrels bolt grooves...I KNOW as I have tried them...they are OK for a bolt gun tho'.

The ~60 gr case and relatively low pressure for use in the AR platform and bullet profiles limits the bullet weight to 200-250 and ~200 yds as far as I've found and in my estimation but in a bolt gun that pressure is not limited as badly so I world not hesitate to use 275-325 gr bullets and stretch the range a bit...

Let your common sense guide you...

NO cast lead bullets thank you...I hate cleaning lead out of gas rods/port etc Mad ...been there/done that...forget it...maybe the coated lead ones might work...trying those is on my todo list for this year.

I LIKE my AR 450 BM and so far with Fury and other brands of pointy bullets I have NO qualms about going after just about any medium to large game within reason and range...I can empty a 12 round mag VERY QUICKLY hose-down and keep them in a 4-6" circle at 75 yds or 1.5" deliberately aimed without much trouble.

Quite a bit of information on loads on the 450 BM if you take some time to search the net.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
This is in a Ruger M77 bolt gun.
The Berrys are copper plated lead.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have good luck using xtps out of my 460 and muzzle loaders they do make a magnum version.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool Rifle...I was looking for one when the 450 BM first came out but just kept missing...decided to built a complete upper for my AR instead...about the same overall cost...easily switched, etc.

I'm just guessing but maybe the velo is to keep from stripping off the plating by the rifling?...the only way to know for sure is to test a few and see...working up the velo 100 fs at a time and see how high you can go...probably more than one reason also.

I've used Berry's bullets in several cals/cartridges and they work OK...VERY cheap plinking, target, small game/close range...I'm working on a form die, plastic/brass tipping doodad to point up cast lead bullets WITHOUT having to buy a $100 mold...just for kicks.

The 450 BM case itself and the Ruger receiver can stand more pressure but how much I won't even begin to mention online...TOO MAN beginners out there that might get hurt, I know how far I would go and have QL'ed many loads...BUT...ANY MUCKINIG ABOUT above SAAMI specs is on YOUR head...

SO BE CAREFUL with ANY reloading for ANY CARTRIDGE...IN ANY RIFLE!!!! shocker archer killpc

ALSO...Check out HAWK bullets...they have a 300 gr Spitzer bullet for .452 pistol that should work great in your Ruger...much better BC to stretch the range a bit. I haven't tried it yet, but...someday maybe.

Good Luck with your new toy!!! tu2 clap beer