New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum or Std. Primers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Speer book saies to use magnum primers with BL-C(2) in my 222. But then I look on the can and all the loads for 223 say winchester sr primers. I am thinking of trying it booth ways but am intersted in what most of you do & results you have goten useing booth.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never used a magnum primer in anything reload. I standard primers in all mine. I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds.

I have shot who knows how many thousands of rds of 223 with bal 2 with standard primers no trouble what so ever.

I personaly see no reason to use a mag primer.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BossMoss:
My Speer book saies to use magnum primers with BL-C(2) in my 222. But then I look on the can and all the loads for 223 say winchester sr primers. I am thinking of trying it booth ways but am intersted in what most of you do & results you have goten useing booth.[/QUOTEI,ve been reloading for 50yrs,and used standard primers for a long time,went to mag primers and never went back!! I like getting all i can out of my reloaded ammo. Reloading books now have a lot of there loads set up low on the scale!! Most MAX loads now are starting loads years ago.the reason is they are fraid of law suits due to liabality,thanks to the lawyers ect. I use mag primers even with stadard loads in my 270 or whatever. vangunsmith]

Posts: 42 | Location: Northern. Calif. | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveThrough the years I've used both std. and mag. There are some areas that i've found it makes a deffinite difference. The .222 isn't one of them but it is really academic in this case. Either is all right as long as you adjust the load to compensate for the mag. primers if you find it necessary. I doubt that you will. Wink

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BossMoss:
My Speer book saies to use magnum primers with BL-C(2) in my 222.

bull thumbdown

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I can not imagine why you would want to use magnum primers in a case/cartridge as in 222 or 223. They are not high performance cartridges with great bulk of powder charges you are trying to insure 100% ignition. As stated by others, I have loaded many rounds of 223 w/ BLc2 and WC846/milsurp powder and many of our local XC shooters using Sierra 69 gr bullets at the 200 and 300 ranges will have groups that are actually scary in that they are so small. Well under 1/2moa and that is out of a Service Rifle 15. For the 600 yard line, 80 grain Sierras and either RE15 or Varget and again, SRP, either Fed., Win., or CCI. Most use the FED 205M and again, very good accuracy. Easily cleans the 600 yard target.
I do not know if the magnum would be a detrement, but can tell you it is not a necessity and know of no one in this area using a magnum primer in such calibers.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some reloading books, Speer included, will recommend Magnum primers for hot loads or really slow powders.
For example, just looking through the Speer book today for a customer shooting 30-30 and with a slow powder like H4831, it recommends Magnum primers.

I cannot see, however, why you would want to use a Magnum primer in something as small as a 223.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to use magnum primers with the .223 when I loaded it years ago if I was using ball powder, like W-748, H-335, A-2460 or A-2230. I used CCI-BR4 primers when I used stick powders like A-2015BR, IMR-4895 or Reloder 15. Seems some of the loading manuals suggested it, so that's what I did. In hot weather, I probably could have just used standard primers, but in cold weather, the magnum primers may have helped ignition. And if they are universally unnecessary, I wonder why CCI offers them?

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me some of the old manuals stated Mag. primers for most ball type powders as they are harder to ignite than stick type, or so it was thought at the time.
Myself because I sometimes hunt in cold weather and often use ball powders I have just stuck with them for all my hunting loads.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Remington 7-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote