THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    After full resize why do I have a slight bulge in lower neck?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After full resize why do I have a slight bulge in lower neck?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After resizing 30-06 or 375 H&H i find that there remains a slight bulge in the lower part of the neck of the case. What are the causes of this? It does not effect the chambering of the cases.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are using a standard sizer die,I think you are sizing too deep. I don't do the "cam over" that a lot of reloaders insist has to be done in order for the brass to chamber. I resize as little as I can get by with that will allow the cartridge to easily fit in the chamber.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
is the bulge larger in that area than a fired un-sized case? You might not be sizing the neck all the way down. As long as they chamber you are fine. But if you are using a FL die and it is not fully sizing the neck then you are not bumping the shoulder back on the case either. So after a couple or few more firings that might become an issue with chambering.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
If you are using a standard sizer die,I think you are sizing too deep. I don't do the "cam over" that a lot of reloaders insist has to be done in order for the brass to chamber. I resize as little as I can get by with that will allow the cartridge to easily fit in the chamber.

Yes, I am doing the cam-over full resize that could be the problem, will let you know.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
After several sizings the case will stretch and the inside corner of the shoulder/neck will move slightly up into the neck.
As the expander is the last thing to size the case that ring will be stretched to slightly under bullet diameter and that might be the cause of that "buldge".

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Post a pic. "Oversizing is not the cause" You want the brass to fit the chamber; sometimes that requires cam over and sometimes not. So, it is not an always or never thing. Depends on the caliber, dies, chamber, brass, etc.

Posts: 17290 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you have there is the neck is not being sized all the way to the shoulder. It's what they used to call "neck sizing" but when the die people figured they could sell an extra die, they started calling it "partial neck sizing" and provided a "neck sizing" die. It does no harm and IMO helps to align the case in the chamber.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I PRESUME your case lengths are within spec!! oldI think the Dane is right. The ex-pander is pressing out the small mushroom ( doughnut ) after a correct full length resize. From what you say you have no real problem at this time. Seating a bullet too deep , however, could give you a tight chamber fit.
popcornTake the ex-pander out and resize a couple.
Roll EyesIf you size as you are doing now ,afterward you can meticulously turn that swell off with your neck turning tool. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
After resizing 30-06 or 375 H&H i find that there remains a slight bulge in the lower part of the neck of the case. What are the causes of this? It does not effect the chambering of the cases.

old I'm kind a interested on what the final results were!! beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark a fired case with a match (blacken it) the run it in the die to the base of the shoulder and lock things up....Your not resizing your neck fully is the problem..but if the case chambers in the gun your Ok just like it is..

Never load a belted case to the belt as that over works the brass and case life suffers..run that blacken case in a bit at a time trying to chamber as you go..when it close snug then stop or I prefer to go a tad more until the case closes with just a smidgen of snugness..I don't use neck sizing for hunting rounds, to many problems doing that with function.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember having the same issue with 308 brass.It could happen if neck sized cases have seen too many reloadings.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
If it is the first few firings, then you are probably not screwing the die down enough to size the case to the base of the neck.

If it is happening after 5 or more shots, you might have a donut inside the base of the neck due to brass flow.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11246 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote