Notify
Tools

7x57 - 175 gr. Partitions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Though this has probably been asked a zillion times, here it is again:

Ruger 7x57, 22" barrel, 175 gr. Partitions, suggested powder? I have H4350, H4831, RL-15, RL-19, & IMR4320 sitting here.

Any suggestions for max. velocity (~2600 fps?)?

Thanks.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I preferred:
IMR-4350 From 40.0 grains to 45.0 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prior to using long throated 7x57 and H414 powder I used max charges of H4831 for 2600 FPS as did Finn Aagard and Jack O'connor, I think I recall the grain numbers but not real sure so just work up a load with that powder...Several powders will get you 2500 plus...Some loading books use a Ruger No. 1 loading for the 7x57 and so state, those loads will be fine in a good Mauser or M-70...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Will
If you're lookin for velocity primarily then I would give H-4831 and Rx19 a try. I trust you have a chronograph?
H-4831 seems to come alive in the 7x57 with heavy bullets.. good velocity and very accurate.
But be prepared for heavily compressed loads when you get to max charges..
With that Ruger 22" bbl I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get much over 2500fps with the 175's.
And just to repeat an old axiom, always develop a load in the same weather conditions as close as possible to the weather conditions you are going to use that load in. The difference in performance and accuracy from one temperature extreme to another can be amazing.
Good luck and have fun..

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Will
If you're goin for velocity primarily, I would give H-4831 and Rx19 a try.. I trust you have a chronograph?
H-4831 seems to come alive in the 7x57 with heavy bullets.. good velocity and accuracy.
But be prepared for heavily compressed charges when max loads are reached.
I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get much over 2500 fps in that 22" bbl Ruger with either powder, but let us know what you come up with..
What is the twist rate of that barrel?

And to repeat on old axiom.. try to develop loads in the same weather conditions as close as possible to the weather conditions you expect to use the load in.. the differences between performance and point of impact from one temperature extreme to another can be most amazing..
Have fun and good luck

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RDub:
Hi Will
H-4831 seems to come alive in the 7x57 with heavy bullets.. good velocity and accuracy.
But be prepared for heavily compressed charges when max loads are reached.
I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get much over 2500 fps in that 22" bbl Ruger with either powder,

DITTO;

Personally I would not use the partitions as a standard constuction, less expensive hunting bullet in that weight will adequately do the job at 2600 fps even at 10 feet. Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried it yet, but am going to work up a load with a 175 NP and IMR7828SSC. I think with the smaller granules, you may be able to squeeze enough into a 7x57 to make it really work. I also think this might make a killer 2800-2900 fps .30-06 load with a 180 gr. bullet and IMR 7828SSC. If anyone has tried this yet lets hear a report.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote