New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Does "Extreme" Powder Mean?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, I'm still trying to decide which powder to begin loading for my .223. Many recommend Varget, Benchmark etc. but others talk about "extreme or temperature sensitive" powders. If you were to choose one powder for all your varmint hunting from groundhods to coyote, what would it be? What is an example of a powder that is not temperature sensitive? Thanks for the help.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the new Hodgden powders are not temperature sensitive. Varget is one of them. It means the load you work up in the hot summer will still shoot almost the same when it is below zero. With the older powders, if you worked a hot load in cold weather, pressure could get dangerous in the summer. Velocity variations would change day to day depending on the weather. Be thankful for the "extreme powders".

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The good news is that in some cases, the "extreme" powders work very well. 46 grains of Varget in my 308, with a 165 grain bullet, gives me a "zero temperature coefficient" load. I've tested it in hot weather, and in cold, and the MV is very close to identical.

The bad news is that it often doesn't work that way. In my 223 Rem, Varget produces a load that is more temperature sensitive than the Winchester "white box" commercial/military ammo.

In my instrumented 7.62x54R Finn, which is close to the same case size as the 30-06, my Varget load rises 203 PSI for each degree F the barrel temperature rises. A 95 degree F barrel produces pressures about 6,100 PSI higher than the same load when the barrel is at 65 F. That's conspicuously NOT temperature insensitive. Nor is it insensitive to the temperature of the powder.

There is some other variable in the mix, such as case capacity, or percent case fill. If you get the right combination, it works great. But do not depend on "extreme" powders always being temperature insensitive.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Hmm, and I thought it was made exclusivley for snowboarders and skydivers.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"Ok, I'm still trying to decide which powder to begin loading for my .223. Many recommend Varget, Benchmark etc. but others talk about "extreme or temperature sensitive" powders."

Eye-catching, isn't It? "Extreme" that is, which is a term Hodgdon is currently using to promote its ADI-produced powders. Fundamentally I think it means good marketing and increased sales.

As was pointed out above, burning characteristics of powders vary according to the cartridge in which used...and also the level of pressure at which used, which in turn is influenced by a heap o' things.

Reasonable charges of a powder appropriate to the case size and bullet weight have never produced any hot-weather or cold weather problems in any rifles I have fired in the 55+ years I've been shooting center-fires.

Hodgdon's ADI powders may be a bit easier to work with in that respect than some others, but not enough so to outweigh the advantages of using a powder with just the right burn rate for the cartridge being loaded, I suspect.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote