New
Find
Notify
Tools

Progressive reloading/case trimming
 Login/Join

<JCCD>
posted
I'm thinking about getting a Dillon 550b. I've never used a progressive press and was wondering if you trim cases before sizing? If you don't, the crimps on revolver rounds will be uneven, right?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCCD:
I'm thinking about getting a Dillon 550b. I've never used a progressive press and was wondering if you trim cases before sizing? If you don't, the crimps on revolver rounds will be uneven, right?

Yes that is correct...with revolver rounds and lead bullets the roll crimp works best and with jacketted bullets for a auto the taper crimp works well...the taper crimp doesn't seem to be a requiring of a precise case length as a roll crimp....I just check for overly long or short cases as I sort them and inspect them prior to loading...this is on standard reloads for paper....on high velocity hunting loads I do them on single stage press with closer monitoring of the case length...good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<wjb3>
posted
On this same topic: I've never used anything but my old Rock Chucker single stage press, but have just recently stared reloading straight walled pistol ammo, and am beginning to see the advantage of a progressive press. Anyone have any opinions of the Dillon vs. RCBS vs. Hornady?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Dillon 550B and I trim after every third reload. I do this before I load the casings.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<whales>
posted
I use a Dillon XL650 I check case lengh and trim where needed, then run them through the press. Dillon will give you everything in a reloader you can want.

<Jeff S>
posted
Trimming straight wall revolver cases is a waste of time.

<stans>
posted
I am not sure if straight wall cases need trimming after the initial trim. I have yet to find one that has grown. I generally do not trim handgun cases unless there is tremendous variation in case length in a given lot of cases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I trim my rifle cases after every third load, I never trim my straight walled cases either.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Abe Normal>
posted
wjb3 wrote:
----------------->
On this same topic: I've never used anything but my old Rock Chucker single stage press, but have just recently stared reloading straight walled pistol ammo, and am beginning to see the advantage of a progressive press. Anyone have any opinions of the Dillon vs. RCBS vs. Hornady?
------------------>>
I've been loading on the RCBS 2K for a little over a year now and here's what I've come to like and dislike about the machine.
1. I like the 5 stations vs. the 4 of the 550b.
2. The powder measure system is a nicer/simpler design.
3. The APS priming system is the winner hands down! It's faster, easier, and user friendly, unlike the tube priming system. I can load up 500 primers into the strips in less than 10 minutes, with no bitching about stuck primers and it's a simple matter to see that all primers are facing the proper direction.
4. The APS primer strip loading tool as well as a goodly number of the plastic strips are included with the press. Where as the Dillon tube loading tool is an option and costs several hundred extra.
5. I like the spent primer "no spill catch cup" design, even though it's sort of a pain in the knee upon occasion.
6.Extra Die plates and the shell plates are less expensive than the Dillon.
7. I dislike the fact that your left hand is so very busy while the only tasks your right hand is able to perform is to pull the handle and index the shellplate. Where as the Dillon you can set the bullet with the right hand during the time the left is placing an empty casing in the shell plate (or is it the other way around?).
8. Both are very hardy machines built to last, both have the no BS lifetime warranty, both company's are extremely easy to deal with.

Were my RCBS 2k to disappear tomorrow and I had to make the progressive press purchase again I think I'd still go with the RCBS if only because of the APS system, I like it that much more than the tube system that Dillon uses.

Just My 2 cents worth,

------------------
Abe

If everyone thought like me, I'd be a damn fool to think any differently!

<goneballistic>
posted
For accuracy in the larger straight walled revolver calibers, a good consistent roll crimp is necesary. The relatively slow pistol powders, usually hard to ignite ball powders, perform better with a crimp.
To get that consistent crimp you have to have a consistent case length. You get that by trimming.
To cut down on the trimming, avoid cases with a cannelure. They tend to need trimming more often.

Semi-auto cases, i.e. 9mm, .45, ect. should be checked for case length because the headspacing is on the case mouth. I have very, very seldom have to trim these, however.

<wjb3>
posted
Thanks Abe Normal... now that's the kind of reply I can use!

<goneballistic>
posted
I have been looking at those 3 machines myself and I am going to go with the Hornady AP. I don't know how their proprietary priming system compares to the RCBS APS system, but it is supposed to accept both small and large primers.
Then consider that the AP has automatic indexing, the Lock-n-Load system, no die plates/tool heads, multiple caliber shell plates, fast caliber change outs, micrometer adjust powder throw, and also 5 die stations. https://gateway.hornady.com/web_store.cgi?page=storehome.html&cart_id=

And, it's less expensive! http://www.midwayusa.com/online/prodsearch.exe/BuildLink?SaleItemID=339271

[This message has been edited by David M (edited 11-10-2001).]

<Steve in MI>
posted
I know use a chucker but I had the Hornady AP ( auto progrssive) one word JUNK. I sent it back two times. It would get out of time on rifle case's mostly. it would start out ok but after about 40 case's it would start to miss the case. They could not fix mine. I got a rebate and bought the rcbs press. One thing it did do ok was 40 cal and 45 acp. It was not very accurate on the amount of powder that is would drop either. For shooting IPSC it was fine but for accurate target loads I would not waste my money. I looked into a Dillion but they are pricy with the tool heads and the other items you need. Just my .02 cents

<goneballistic>
posted
Steve,
Sorry about the trouble you had with your press. I suspect that you may have just got a lemon. It happens. I bought a pre- sellout S&W M17 that was so bad about spitting lead, the cylinder would bind after 100 rounds on the lead deposited on the topstrap. S&W could not fix it, they had to replace the gun. I once bought an H&K USP .40. What an undependable piece of crap. But other folks rave about the USPs.
Here is one response (Don's post) I got on the biggerhammer board that was very positive.
http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/index.cgi?read=52161

[This message has been edited by David M (edited 11-12-2001).]

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
I shy away from Dillion because of their marketing strategy. I just do not like stuff like that. I have a Hornady Pro 7 with a Pro-Jector conversion, and it is good with pistol rounds. The only problem with it is that when running this press, it does not like extruded powders, and the measure can bind like mad. I have hear the same about the others too. So if you get a progressive, you are pretty much stuck to ball/flake powders, IMHO.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind if trimming BEFORE sizing, the cases will be longer after sizing. I started using a progressive about 9 years ago. I never had a concern until i started loading straight wall cases. I just set up the trimmer and cut one and then sized it, continued until i had the right length.

I have a Hornady Projunktor, never loaded a single rifle round yet, and would buy a Dillion Square Deal if i only wanted to load handgun cartridges.

mike

------------------
NRA Life Member

America, Love it or LEAVE IT!

[This message has been edited by mssmagnum (edited 11-18-2001).]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Big50>
posted
I have to trim for my 454 if I size the full length, so I just size the length the bullet is seated. I use a Lee crimper in a seperate station after seating. I trim my bottleneck cases about every other loading if they're full length sized.

You won't regret the Dillon RL550B. The thing I don,t like about the XL650 is the auto indexing, as I load half of my bottlenecks singlestage and I like being able to take them right back out after I size them to remove the lube, clean the pocket and maybe trim up. Accessories are cost a little less for the 550 too, along with more rifle cartridges available.

My father has a Dillon RL550B, so I have had the opertunity to use it for a few years now off and on. Here's a few things I've learned so far and the only extras you really NEED.

You can buy the AT500 and upgrade as you go.

The primer system is $65.00 if added later.

You can use one toolhead and swap out dies, or for 10.00 buy another toolhead and never have to set up dies again.

Seperate shellplates and funnel kits ( conversion kit )are $32.00 and are neaded for the specific cartridge.

Yor powder measurer will work on top with the adapter sold seperatly.

It can be used as a single stage or progressive.

Primer loading takes about 1 min. to load and fill the magazine with a 100 primers.

If I'm just priming alone, the rate is over 10 round per min. progressively without the toolhead in place, and is flawless.

The powder measurer is accurate and works great.

The only extra thing you need is the 13.00 primer flip tray, $4.00 mounting kit and the $5.00 instruction vidio.

This press is all you'll ever want. All the extras are for a little more speed and convienance.

The RL550B comes preassembled and takes about an hour to mount, install handle, shellplate and setup dies.

I ordered mine over the internet from Dillon on a friday and it was here on the following tuesday, in Alaska. UPS was $60.00 to here though.

Have fun.
Brent

[This message has been edited by Big50 (edited 11-19-2001).]

<goneballistic>
posted
You made some good points Big50, most of which I considered. I went with the 650, because I intend to do mostly pistol, and a double charged .45 is scary. So, I got the optional powder check die.
The bigger rifle cartridges, I will still Rockchuck 'em. They mostly use IMR powders, which are hard to meter. Also, I shoot proportionately a lot less in big rifle than pistol, I do not have to load as much rifle. In fact, I like to shoot pistol while my rifles cool down.
Glad to hear delivery was fast. I ordered mine late last week.

<Big50>
posted
Let us know how you like it, and if you can deactivate the autoindex feature for some singlestage action. Sweeeet machines.

Later
Brent

<goneballistic>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Big50:
Let us know how you like it, and if you can deactivate the autoindex feature for some singlestage action. Sweeeet machines.

Later
Brent

Naaa. If I wanted one stage I would just remove the other dies, size the cases, let them travel and drop into the bin. Do an entire run, then finish my case prep with the entire bin. But, I am leaving my Rockchucker mounted, which should take care of my singlestage needs.