THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Manually weighing vs. electronic scale and dispens

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manually weighing vs. electronic scale and dispens
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've always used the RCBS 505 scale in the past to weigh charges to within a tenth of a grain and had good results. I recently bought a Pact electronic scale and dispenser, and man does it ever save time. I haven't shot too many reloads using it yet, but I was wondering can you expect the same precision using it versus manually weighing each charge? I usually recalibrate it each time I turn the scale back on for a reloading session.

When I weigh charges on the balance scale, they seem to differ by a couple of tenths of a grain, (but I suspect that is the balance being off a little)

Jon

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both a 505, 1010, and the Pact set-up you have and yes it does save time, however, in my experience the digital scales are affected by enviormental factors which influence consistency/accuracy/etc....so level of consistentcy may differ somewhat from charge to charge.

I use the Pact set-up to throw the charges so I can trickle the last bit while weighing on one of the manual scales...by the time I trickle the last bit I have another charge ready to be weighed. I have found this method to be the fastest and most accurate for what I am doing....attempting to achieve consistency in reloading as quickly as possible

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own a Lyman 200 DPS and a RCBS 505 balance scale.
For all my rifle rounds, I check to make sure the thrown charges are consistant.

As convienant as the electonic scale and I really like my Lyman, I check everything with the balance.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The digitals haven't been as accurate for me, they will usually get w/in a few tenths.

I guess it depends on what you want. If you want speed and ease, go w/ the elec./disp. If you want accuracy and are willing to take that extra little bit of time, go w/ a good beam.

I can accurately weigh charges pretty quick w/ my trusty ole' Dillon and the proper Lee Dipper.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO - It really depends on the accuracy of the scale you are using. There are inaccurate balance beams and there are inaccurate electronic scale/dispensers. I used to use a Redding balanced beam but now use a Pact Dispenser/Scale combo. For loading a hundred or more rounds at one session it can't be beat. But, when all is said and done, weighing each individual load on a balance beam that is accurate will give you the same results as an electronic dispenser that is accurate.

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
everyone to their own devices.....
First of all I've found that absolute precise weighing of powder is of no to little value. As a matter of fact my powder measure does all I need for hunting loads. I set the measure using an Ohaus balance beam scale (they make the RCBS and others) and even H-4831 (I use shortcut) measures close enough to do the job for me. I check every 10th drop with the scale to insure that nothing has changed and just measure and seat bullets.

Working up a new load I weigh every charge so I know exactly where I am but I haven't found that even +/- 1/2 grain means anything when I'm dumping 80 grains of powder in a case. My powder measure will handle that nicely.

If I choose to use ball powders as I do in cases like .223 to .257 Roberts I find that my powder measure will repeat much better.....usually within +/-2/10 grains.

So far I haven't found a practical use for digital scales or other "precision" charging devices.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Are you all saying that electronic digital scales are not as accurate as manual
scales? Does that apply to all digital scales, or just to a few?

I've been using an Ohaus 10-10 since I purchased it new 30 years ago. I
haven't seen the need to upgrade yet, and now I guess I'm not as behind the
times as I previously thought!

Interesting!

Posts: 10 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The digital scales are the way to go for any kind of volumn, especially w/ stick powders. I have a Dillno, but any of the major manuf. scales will match the middle price range balance beam types.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Currently, I only load for my .223. Years ago we loaded just about everything. We used a balance scale back then and I still use one to this date. I only load about 50-100 rounds at a time. I don't own a powder measure, I check each and every load. Hence...I have put 3 rounds in the same hole with my .223 NEF Handi at 60 yards (my backyard). What more do you need ?

Posts: 23 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Are you all saying that electronic digital scales are not as accurate as manual
scales? Does that apply to all digital scales, or just to a few? ...I've been using an Ohaus 10-10 since I purchased it new 30 years ago. I haven't seen the need to upgrade yet, and now I guess I'm not as behind the times as I previously thought!...

Hey THP, They are just like anything else - they all have their little quirks and idiosyncrasies. Checking the zero of the electronic scales every 30-40 minutes will keep them from "drifting" too far as the components warm up.

Your Ohaus 10-10 is still "Top of the Line". Keep the "V" area clean where the balance beam rests and they are as excellent as always. Got one myself and have no intention of ever letting it go.

However, the electronic scales are really excellent when it comes to some other reloading tricks like weighing cases. Can't be beat for that as long as you keep them protected from any and all air movement. With your 10-10 the magnetic dampening keeps a slight air movement from being a problem.

Both types have their uses. I prefer the 10-10 for my reloading, but go to an electronic scale for sorting and such stuff.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have used a Ohaus 10-10 for more than 30 years. But I recently bought a Lyman DPS 1200. I am still learning how to use the thing but all of the charges that it has thrown have been on the money with my 10-10.
My shop, where I reload, is heated by a wood stove. Which means it can get very cold out there at night or if I am not out there for a couple of days. I called Lyman and talked to a lady who told me basically: "duh" when I asked how the temp would affect the Lyman scale. So I am waiting for winter to really get here so I can check its accuracy when its say 20 degs in the shop. If it doesn't work well, maybe I can talk Sweet Thing into letting me reload in the house.
So far, I'm well pleased.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the upgraded PACT combo as well as an RCBS powder pro scale. I have calibrated each one seperately, and then dispensed charges with the unti and checked them on the RCBS against the PACT. They 99% of the time agree with each other on the weight. That being said,..there are great beam scales,..but my 2 digitals are every bit as acuurate and much faster especially with the programmable diapenser. Cut my loading time in 1/3's.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's no way I'd go back to balance beam scales unless my electronic dispenser/scale went on the Fritz. Just turn the scale on for about 30-45 minutes before you settle in for a reloading session. I check mine as frequently as necessary without being anal about it, and it is very accurate.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some great posts here, and I guess most has been said already. With out care and attention beams and electric
scales can give false readings. I've found many beams to
be less than perfect if doing a zero and then shifting
the heavy main balance wt. So using check weights I
zero the thing to the weight I want set on the beam.
Also confirms I have the correct setting.
Using an electric RCBS I've noticed it drifting off after
only about 20 minutes. Another thing for us fanatics,
the electric only shows nearest 1/10gr. My RCBS 505
moves with just one granual of stick powder added, with about 5 granuals to 1/10 gr. Sure it won't probably make
any difference, but as I tell a mate, if I miss a shot
it's not because the powder weight is wrong.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote