New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've found it!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went to the range yesterday to continue my quest for a whitetail load for my new 25/06 AI. The bullet I chose for this was the Speer 100gr BTSP with IMR 4831, IMR4350, and Reloader 22. Being an Improved cartrige, I started at max published loads and worked my way up in .5 increments. After burning a pile of powder there was one load that stood head and shoulders above the rest. 58.5Gr of Reloader 22, only .5 gr. above max shot sub-half inch groups at 100yds at 3580 fps! What baffles me is that the Speer manual shows 58gr of re22 with the same bullet in the 3200fps range!? I do have a 27" barrel as opposed to the test subjects 24", but could this account for, along with half a grain of powder for almost a 400fps increase?

Posts: 71 | Location: Ocean Isle Beach NC | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I would think so, depends on a lot of variables- Rate of twist, freebore, construction of bullet, heck even the weight of the brass can have something to do with it.

Also a rule of thumb is 100 fps per inch of barrel, even though it isn't true often, so 400 fps from a barrel 3 inches longe isn't that far out of the equation.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
frasier let me know how it works on deer, and if you could try some 100 gr nosler bt in it, hell if need a box of them i will send them to ya

<re5513>
posted
"58.5Gr of Reloader 22, only .5 gr. above max shot sub-half inch groups at 100yds at 3580 fps! What baffles me is that the Speer manual shows 58gr of re22 with the same bullet in the 3200fps range!? I do have a 27" barrel as opposed to the test subjects 24", but could this account for, along with half a grain of powder for almost a 400fps increase?"

No you're not dreaming. In my standard .25-06 I've found that RL-22 turns it into a virtual .257 Weatherby with excellent accuracy and velocity in the range you achieved with your AI. I don't know why the books don't show this. I think RL-22 is a phenomenal powder for the .25-06 and a friend's recent custom rifle confirms this. I doubt you can attribute the velocity gain soley to an increase in barrel length but resulting from a number of factors including your own rifle, primer choices, water capacity of your particular cases, etc. Enjoy!

Rick

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I got 100 fps better than the Speer manual with a less than max load. My barrel was 1" longer than their test rifle. 338-06 with a 200Nos BT, IMR 4064, 54 gr. Chrono'd 2900 fps. You just never know until you chrono a load in a rifle what your getting.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote