New
Find
Notify
Tools

Try this
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
HI Guys In an attempt to get around the clean barrel first shot being away from the following couple of shots, I loaded a case with a primer only, with the gun pointing to the ground, I pulled the trigger. A soft plop followed and a dirtied barrel. I assume the oil residue was washed out. The barrel was still cold. Lining up on a target with the first loaded round put the bullet on point of aim,the following two shots clustered around it.
I've done this with both my Remington rifles.
It's much better than being off target and is much quieter than letting a loaded one go when getting ready to step into the woods. It doesn't make enough noise to disturb game.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Very good. Now try that with your first shot at a royal. Razzerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes when I shoot at them they come closer.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by oldun:
I assume the oil residue was washed out. The barrel was still cold. UNQuote.

Why can't you wipe the oil out, if oil is the
problem. A friend of mine was paranoid about
oil in his chamber, so wiped it with petrol.
Metho may be safer. I just use a few TIGHT dry
patches on my barrels and don't have any trouble. Most of my shooting is informal grouping, and have never had the "clean barrel"
problem, though my .22RF doesn't like a clean out, but the first groups are just a little bigger, but still at P.O. Aim.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky you Jal in some guns first shot from a clen barrel is a flyer personaly I go to the range and confirm zero then go hunting with a fouled barrel.

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
I just can't imagine leaving on a hunting trip with a dead-bang clean, oiled barrel. Even on my back up rifle!

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure all barrels are different. But.
We are probably talking apples and oranges.
Firstly I don't actually use "oil" as such in my barrels. (They mostly soak in Hoppies No.9)
This stuff may be easy to patch out?
My hunting trips are every other day and about
10 miles away.
I can go to a place and nearly always fire 1,2
or more starting from a clean DRY barrel.
So I know the first shot will go where I want it
and the next few within an inch at 100yards.

I agree to travel ocasionally to a hunt, you need to check zero, and then may as well leave
her dirty for reasonably short durations.
(No wonder you boys are going to stainless)

But everyone I know of, gets hunting and Full-Bore accuracy after patching out Hoppies, Sweets, and I've had no trouble with Butch's
solvent, or slight applications of G96 gun cleaner.
Just for interest, I have a friend, good shot,
gunsmith, (he reckons) who has a .22RF CZ Brno.
If he shoots it, puts it in the rack for a while, then fires it again DIRTY, the first shot
inverably goes flying. I have seen him shoot
about 1/2" at 50 metres, BUT, the first shot from a dirty barrel went 3 to 4" away. He says
it nearly always happens, with various types of ammo.
I have heard of something similar with brnos
but can't remember if the others were cleaned
first.
So I don't know how long your "seasons" are, but
this old coot won't be leaving my barrels dirty
even over night.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JAL
The season in New Zealand starts on the first of January and closes on 31st December

bartsche
Did the shooting at an animal bit last week and hit a Sika stag plum in the head.

Life is mighty good here in Godzone.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, next question: Where were you aiming. :-)
JL

one of us
posted Hide Post
Starting to think it was a "Texas heart shot".
JL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JAL
Gosh, you are perceptive, how did you deduce that?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well when you were a bit coy about where you aimed, and I realised you were from the land of
the long cloud, and where one deer hunter shot
his own pack horse . . . well I figured the
hole in the deers head may have been the exit.
John L. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI just read a 2 page report about how a clean barrel shoots better groups than a dirty one. Then others want to load thier clean barrel with dirt to start shooting. I have never shot a round just to fowl the barrel and my groups have always been good after getting a load worked up for it. A couple patches through the barrel and off we go. thumb

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just can't imagine leaving on a hunting trip with a dirty or fouled barrel. Even on my back up rifle!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I go to the range and confirm zero then go hunting with a fouled barrel.

What he said.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JAL, I don't know, you Awstruckinfalians do like to tease
It was a great trip. The stag was a little grumpy about my having slipped on to his rutting stand without first asking his permission. He, typicaly, sneaked up on me, stuck his head around a tree to have a look at what the big ugly lump was doing. Had I been able to see his Texas heart, I would of cause have aimed at it, but I was a head shot or nothing.
No horses near at the time. We have hold of a new fangled thing called a, what is it; oh yes, a motor car. They are not too bad. But I don't think they will catch on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always clean my barrels and patch them dry and free of residue. My first shot is always a flyer. I ALWAYS hunt with a dirty barrel for this reason. My rifles all shoot half MOA...on dirty barrels.

7mm Rem mag-162 A-Max
Boom ...splat

Posts: 39 | Location: Taupo New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well just watch out for horses and N.Z. fellas
trying to call deer. Both have been known to
move.
But seriously mostly you have to get a bit confrontational/argumentive to get a wide range
of experences. It is starting to seem to me
that some people/barrels shoot better with a little bit of gunk, and some arn't so fussy.

I won't be able to tell with my new s/hand 458
due to probable massive flinchs. But should be
"ele-pants" size groups at 25 yards or so.
Still waiting for ammo.
JL