New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Reduced loads
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
My previous 458 Lott was 9#, then got lighter when the guy I sold it to had it re-stocked.

The key to reduced recoil is lighter bullets. The speer and hornady 350 gr bullets are tough enough for full patch loads, @ 2400 fps shoot plenty flat, and recoil is on par with a 375 H&H. If you're hunting NA, those bullets are enough for all native game. I could perhaps see using a 400 gr for the largest bears, but asside from that, 350 is plenty.

You can load the 500 gr down in the 1800 fps level for reduced recoil, but then you sacrifice trajectory, and the bullets are designed for a higher impact velocity for expansion.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul H,I thought that was the deal but wasnt sure,I have shot the 2500fps.loads in the 350gr.bullet and Iam hitting high with them bad,I thought if I could tone them down to about 2100 maybe it would drop em some and the recoil about 10# ,I hope.10# less of recoil would be perfect.I feel that for deer,hog& bear the 350gr.should really pack a punch.Most of my shots will be 75yrds. are closer and I have had a lot at 50 or closer.I hunt up real high and like to drop my game on the spot to keep from chasing/tracking them down some bad steep down hill ridges always on the other side.Thanks for your help and everyone else thanks also,this is my first post and I look forward to being a member of such a great group of gentlemen/sportsman and Fair chase Trackers & scholars!!!! I just got the oldrifle the other day and think Iam really going to like it,just gotta do some tweeking and shooting to find her favorite loads........It has always seemed to me that when a rifleman gets a rifle he really likes a lot he always wants to shoot it a lot and find the perfect bullet and load for his favorite old betsey!When he finds one that strikes matches hes got a grip on confidence with that rifle that pays off in the field with spades....

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use AA's XMP5744 in my 458 Win Mag double, and it is superb. I use 43.0 grs for light loads for 350 to 500 gr bullets, all close to 1750 fps. For hotter loads, I use 47.0 grs over the same bullet weight range for 1900 fps. The 500 grainer at 47 grs is max. A constant charge weight gives constant velocities in spite of increased bullet weight and length. Recoil is markedly reduced as these charge weights are more than 30% light.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote