New
Find
Notify
Tools

550B or Forster Co-Ax?
 Login/Join

<BusPilot>
posted
O.K...I've read the posts, done the research. Need a peaceful hobby. Time to buy. Wife says go get yourself a reloader. 50th b-day present. .44Mag/.308 mostly. For a hobby is the 550B "fun" to use as I perceive the Co-Ax to be. I'm not a BR shooter but appreciate quality and the enjoyment of using fine tools. Would like to work up some loads and teach my boy metallic reloading (we both do shotshell on a MEC). I would appreciate it if for the 100th time, you guys would help me with this. I NEED to decide. Tired of watching these posts. Want to get a press so I can actually add something intelligent to the discussions! Thanks for your patience!

------------------
God, Guns and Gibsons...doesn't get much better than that!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey BusPilot, are we talking Gibsons as in the six string variety? If so, I love em' too!

I have a Co-Ax, but do not use it to load for handguns. you've asked a hard question. They are pretty different tools. I handload for pistols with a friend and the 550 is THE tool for that job. Just to make you nuts, the Redding turrett press might be the right compromise. If you go with the 550 and will switch often between rifle and pistol you'll probably want to have two complete tool heads. Progressive presses are nice for volume but the setup time is an issue. If you're new to the game, a progressive has a lot of stuff to pay attention to all at once. I would suggest a single stage press or the Turret press. If you go with a single stage press, I do very much like my Co-Ax.

Take Care

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use the 550B as a single stage if you want to.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<ol crip>
posted
Buspilot,I use a 550b for my varmint loads and it is a super piece of equiptment W/super gurantee. It's not made from old lawn chairs. For my big stuff I use a Rock Chucker and a powder trickler. I love my 550b and won't trade it for any other press. Factory support is indescribable. Buy a Dillon and you won't be sorry.

------------------
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY...OL CRIP
NUCLEAR GRADE UBC RETIRED

<BigBob>
posted
BUSPILOT,
I'm pretty demanding when it comes to reloading. I have a 550B, and I love it. I load eleven different pistol cartridges on it, but only one rifle, thats the .223 for use in a AR-15. Still I donot size cases in the 550B. When it comes to rifles I do all my sizeing in a RCBS Rockchucker. From different test I've made. I donot think the 550B is rigid enough to consistently be accurate in the job of full length sizeing of rifle cases. Just don't try to get between me and my 550B when it comes to pistol loading. One suggestion I'd make in useing the 550B, Discard your first five powder drops. It seems to take that many drops before the powder measure settles down. Good luck. I hope that this is of some help. P.S. The Rockchucker is a very good press.

------------------
BigBob

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
You are comparing apples and oranges here. I have both a Dillon (RL650) and a Coax, along with several other presses. I use the Dillon for all pistols EXCEPT 44MAG. I load the 44 just like centerfire rifle, on the Coax. It's not typically a high volume type of loading for it. Fifty rounds at a time maybe? Even 100? You're not going to shoot that many in a day at the range. If you were going to load for pistol competition or for any high volume shooting, I'd say get the Dillon. But for the 308 and 44, hands down I'd suggest the Coax. More precise and accurate reloads, and it's a dream to use.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better get one of each. Dillon for handgun, single stage for rifle. That's the best way to do it. (IMO of course)...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My relatively short reloading path started with a lee challenger press, went to a Lymann t-mag, and is now going to consist of a co-ax and a rockchucker. If I shot more pistol ammo, I'd add a dillon to the list.

The question to answer is, how much ammo do you shoot a week? I find a single stage, or turret works well for ~100 rds a week. If you are planning on buring 100 a day through the pistol, then by all means, get the progressive.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<BusPilot>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by rogerinneb:
Hey BusPilot, are we talking Gibsons as in the six string variety? If so, I love em' too!
Hope I use the quote function correctly. Yes, Gibson SJ-200 in fact! Custom made!
I have a Co-Ax, but do not use it to load for handguns. you've asked a hard question. They are pretty different tools. I handload for pistols with a friend and the 550 is THE tool for that job. Just to make you nuts, the Redding turrett press might be the right compromise. If you go with the 550 and will switch often between rifle and pistol you'll probably want to have two complete tool heads. Progressive presses are nice for volume but the setup time is an issue. If you're new to the game, a progressive has a lot of stuff to pay attention to all at once. I would suggest a single stage press or the Turret press. If you go with a single stage press, I do very much like my Co-Ax.

Take Care

Roger

------------------
God, Guns and Gibsons...doesn't get much better than that!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll just chime in with others here and say that I have the Co-Ax press and the Dillon 550B.

But I didn't have them both when I started.

I definitely recommend starting out with a single stage. You also mentioned teaching your son - now it's a no-brainer. Single stage is the way to learn.

When you begin to reload so many rounds that you dread it, then go for the progressive. But keep the single stage - You can't beat it for working up a new load.

So far, I only use the Dillon for .45ACP.

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My $0.02
I started reloading 25 years ago with a Pacific C press. I loaded 243 and 300WM. Had to about jump on it to size the 300 brass. Bought a 550B over 5 years ago and have been quite happy with it. That said, I would like a Single stage O press for rifle shells. BTW, I load all common pistol rounds, 223, 270, 25-06, and 300 WM on the Dillon. It can be used as a single stage and should be used single stage until you get used to reloading. Follow the advice above for discarding the first several powder loads. It does take a while for the measure to settle down. Then, go shoot like crazy cause you will load more than you can ever shoot!

Posts: 67 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: 09 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BusPilot,

Where's Ted the Sledge when we need him?

Les Paul Double Cutaway,
PRS with bird inlays
Black Strat with Seymour Duncans
Ovation roundback

Too many guns to list!

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote