Find
Notify
Tools

Sabot slug reloading?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
Is this being done ?and where does one start to learn about it. At $1.69 for a box of 5 it never entered my mind. But now with these new sabot slugs coasting me $13.00 for a box of 5 i have been thinking about it.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've shot only reloaded slugs for the past 8 or so years. Talk about finicky rounds to load! I started first with the lee slug mould in 7/8 oz, right now I am using the BPI Dangerous Game Slugs.

THIS IS THE LOAD I USE FOR MY BOLT ACTION SHOTGUN, PLEASE DON'T USE IT IN ANYTHING OF YOURS BUT WORK YOUR OWN UP. I'M JUST PUTTING IT IN TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA.

I use a roll crimp. My first one was a hand roll crimper I bought and then I got one from BPI. I also use a plastic gas seal under the slug. I take a DG slug and pull it off the attached wad and sand it down on a belt sander until it is exactly 410 grains, then stick it back on the wad. I just flatten the tip of it. With care you can do it by hand, make sure it is square or else make a wooden jig to do it. I use 33 grains of unique. I don't have my notebook here so I can't remember exactly what the velocity is, maybe 1660 fps?

If all of your shots are under 75 yards you'll probably be happy with Lee slugs and a star crimp, but take a center punch and put a dimple in the center of the slug as they have not performed well for me in their unaltered state.

The best experts on this subject seem to be the people at Ballistic Products, look them up online and request a catalog from them.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7764 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not exactly a sabot but I reload with the Lyman 535 gr cast slug with excellent results, looks like a huge air rifle pellet. You can get the mould for about $55.00 and then have a lifetime supply. This slug is designed to fit into a standard 1 1/4 oz shot cup and uses a fold crimp. I cast mine with wheel weights for penetration. I use 3" cases and Blue Dot per the Lyman shot shell manual. Because this is the only shotshell I reload I use a Lee Load All, cheap and it works. Powder charges are weighed individually, the cup and slug inserted and the shell crimped, easy! Tried the Lee slug with poor results, was looking for a lighter kicking load for my son as the lymans do kick. I'm getting about 1450 FPS and 3" groups at 100 yds, it kills deer stone dead, and has proven accurate in three slug guns.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote