Find
Notify
Tools

Case prep center
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted
I'm guessing this topic may have come up already but...

I'm want to save some time and looking for some advice on buying a RCBS or Lyman case prep center.
1) Are they worth the investment?
2) Is one better than the other?

Thanks.

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I have tried most of them and settled on the Hornady trim center. It cut my work time on brass by almost 50%

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will add another. Lyman Case Prep Express. The unit has plenty of powder to prep cases quickly. I was a bit worried about wobble, which I understand can be a problem with some centers but, mine has been stellar. It gets the job done quickly and ease of clean up of brass shavings is a real plus.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used an RCBS Case Prep unit for several years. It provides so much convenience and time saving to case prep I couldn't imagine going back to the former methods. Not cheap when I purchased but the investment has been truly worthwhile. One suggestion if you decide on the RCBS, buy spare steel bristle brushes which are on the unit for cleaning primer pockets. They get pretty beaten up after a while and at some stage will need replacing.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2080 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate everyone's input. Sounds like the prep centers are definitely worth the investment. Now I'm waffling between the Lyman Xpress or RCBS...

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I save time by

1.....not messing with primer pockets
2.....not de-burring flash holes
3.....trimming with the RCBS inside/outside all in one cutter head

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I can see skipping the primer steps and flashole deburring for plinking ammo. As primarily a weekend warrior, I have a mental hang-up that I need to do Everything possible to ensure I reload accurate and reliable ammo for hunting. The only thing that matters is that your confident in your system... I appreciate your time saving advice.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Do whatever makes you happy

In time you will see what does and does not improve groups

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with 30.06king, It is the first tool I set-up. I added the military crimp removers and a neck brush.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Wandered into a nearby Cabelas this weekend and stumbled onto the Lyman Case-Prep Xpress marked down to $105. After coupons, points, cabelas bucks, etc...I couldn't pass it up. Gave it a spin last night and what a luxury it is. I didn't "need" it but I'm glad I bought it!
Thanks for everyone's two cents.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS Prep Center along with my WFT Trimmer. Works for me!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the RCBS 3 way trimmer

Posts: 1092 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
+1 on the RCBS 3 way trimmer

#1 time saver I have found

You trim.....that's it

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS Trim Mate and a modified lee trimmer cutter drilled and tapped to 8-32 so the Trim Mate can actually trim to length as shown in the videos. I annealed the end of the cutter so it could be drilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-710xkyKNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZGkWUtKz4k

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I am going to give the new Lee setup a try.

Trims to length, and inside/outside chamfers the case mouth in one operation.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote