THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    RCBS Gold Medal Match Series Bushing Neck Sizer Die

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Gold Medal Match Series Bushing Neck Sizer Die
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone got experience in using this die and what is the benefits compared to a regular NS die (not from the advertisement but from the real life as a reloader beer )

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one using these dies or? beer

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry - no real-life experience here. i use the lee collet neck-sizer dies with great results!

RCBS puts out grreat stuff and their customer service is right at the top - should be a good, safe purchase.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try posting on SnipersHide. Somebody on there uses the seating dies. I'm unsure of the sizers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTT

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I do use a neck bushing die, but I use a couple of Reddings and not the RCBS. No particular reason, it's just what I have. Nothing wrong with the RCBS die I'm sure. I'm wanting a set for 17 Rem with the seater die and the neck bushing die, but just haven't ordered the set yet. I like the design of the "bullet window" on the RCBS seater die.

Basically the benefit is in being able to "tune" the neck diameter to fit the diameter of your brass in your chamber. The most benefit is achieved with a custom neck chamber in your barrel, and with neck turning your brass to a specific thickness. Then you pick a corresponding bushing diameter to give you the desired neck tension on your brass you are after. It's kind of a combined-effect process.

Let's say you have a cartridge in, say .223 diameter, and you turn your brass necks to, say .012 thickness, then you would want a bushing die to take into account the bullet diameter and the combined thickness of 2 sides of the neck:

.223+.012+.012=.247

And let's say you have a target neck tension of .001. You would want a bushing size of .246 to put .001's worth of neck tension on your bullet. Ideally all this is done in a custom chamber cut "tighter" than normal, say around .248-.249, maybe as big as .250.

Of course you will want a couple of bushing sizes on either side of your "target" diameter, for load tuning purposes until you figure out what to run with.

I think most of this would be a waste of time in a factory barrel with a stock cut chamber though.

I hope that answered your question, it's been a long day at work and I'm pretty tired. Let me know if it didn't make sense!

killpc

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slim explained it well.

You might ask about similar dies and get more answers. Redding introduced bushing neck a few years ago. L E Wilson dies have been used by benchrest competitors probably more than 40 years. The Wilson dies are used with a small arbor press or with a plastic hammer but are still bushing dies and allow you to change the bushing diameter in .001 inch increments.

Forster also markets a bushing die but I believe it also bumps the shoulder back.

Like screw in chokes taking more than half a century to be widely accepted, bushing dies are taking way to long to be adopted across the board.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote