THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What powder most closely matches Ramshot Big Game?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What powder most closely matches Ramshot Big Game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Doing some load development for a 7-08 and have heard lots of good things about Big Game, but no one in my city carries it.

In your experience, which powder most closely matches its burn rate and characteristics?

BTW, I have looked at more than a few burn rate charts, but as many of you have found, not all of them match each other, and some vary a great deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm08 is easy to load. Varget, 3031, 4895, RL 15 & 17 are all fine depending on bullet weight.
Buy the "one caliber" loading book for 7mm08 on Ebay for 10 bucks and you'll have a enough options to wear out a barrel

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, but you never attempted to answer the questionSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alliant PP 2000-MR and Accurate 2700 are both very close. Double based ball powders with similar bulk densities and burn rates.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
sns2
Don't know if htere is a perfect answer. Like you I've found charts to vary. Any number of things can give you a slightly different reading.

Simply looking at QL the software it says that an equal load of RL 17 gives the same pressure as Big Game however it calculates about 30fps higher velocity. H414 and 760 use 2 grs more powder for about 12 fps more velocity.

As to what would equal Big Game I'm simply not sure. 45-70 gave you some good choices.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! RL 15 it is. Have a great day.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
H 414 is hard to beat with Hunting weight bullets in the 7mm-08 or the 7x57 Mauser. Win 760 is the same powder as H 414. Just a couple more choices for you as you go to the Powder store.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns2:
Thanks for the reply, but you never attempted to answer the questionSmiler

Sorry, burn rate is not the only way to select a powder. Almost all bullet and powder companies have load data on line for free. Most reloaders also have many books with load data in them.
Big Game is a rather ho-hum powder at least in the 270 & 06', I wouldn't cross the street to buy it over the dozen or more on my powder shelf already.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
45-70 shooter:

I haven't tried Big Game in a 270 but I think it's one heck of a powder for the 30-06. Try it with a 165 grain TSX. It's also my go to powder in my .338 RCM. You might give Ramshot Hunter a try as well. I shoot it in my .257 Bob and it works great. use the data on the Ramshot web site.

Accurate 1680 works really well in my 450 Marlin with Michael's long BBW#13s and Woodleigh Hydros. I really like Western Powders. If you have an eight pound keg of Big Game and one of Hunter, it will take care of a lot of your reloading needs. tu2

From the Ramshot web site:

"BIG GAME is the ultimate 30-06 Springfield powder. Outstanding velocities and optimum case-fill result in excellent shot to shot consistency."

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave it's not a terrible powder and of course Ramshot would laud it.
Barnes seems to feel 4064 is superior with the bullet you listed.
Many powders work fine in the 06', just depends on what your rifle and bullet prefer.
You might want to try the new Hybrid 100V, it is very impressive as is Hornady Superperformance.
Good shooting !

one of us
posted Hide Post
RL-15 is what i use. and sometimes IMR 4064. both are great with this round

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It falls between IMR4007 SSC and Winchester 760.

Your choice of powder is also affected by the weight of bullet used. Use a faster poweder for a really light bullet and a little slower powder for a really heavy bullet.
The slowest recommended powders fill up the case and may over flow if they are too bulkly.
To check for this you need the internal capacity of your brass and the specific gravity of the powder.
I think you could learn a good less by the lack of Ramshot on the local shelves.
Propellants are not like fashions and fads.
They need to be on the shelf all the time and they need to be there year in and out for decades otherwise you are always looking to replace something that is unpopular or obsolete.

Burn Rate Chart

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote