Notify
Tools

Opinions on my .204 Group
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hey guys,

Took my Kimber Pro Varmint to the range yesterday with a variety of loads. I shot this group, but as you can see the shot dispersion of the 3rd 4th & 5th shots is way over to the left of the first 2. Each of the squares is 1/2 inch.

The load on the target shown below was 29.8grs BLC-2, 39gr Sierra Blitzking, Federal 205 primer. Case was Sellier & Bellot. OAL of the load was 2.280, which is the maximum to fit in the magazine box.

I shot 29.8, 29.9 and 30.0grs, and in each case the groups had a similiar shot dispersion - the first 2 through virtually the same hole and the other 3 were over to the left. The 29.8 gr load however had the less shot dispersion.

My runout was apalling to say the least, have now corrected the problem (set up of die). What else could be the cause of a group like this?

I should also mention that this is a brand new rifle, I have put 90 rounds down the barrel, so maybe still running in?

All replies to this will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert, and don't know the rifle you are shooting at all, but I have had some of the same issues with oter rifles.

One issue that I discovered was the barrel, when heated up, started to press on the stock. This caused a big diffrence in shot placement. That may be your problem, but I doubt it, because the diffrence is so small. It may be something you want to look into though.

Seeing how thw diffrence was consistant across all 3 loads, I would not say it was an issue with the ammo, more likley a gun issue.

Hope this has helped.

The answer to any question you have is in the Bible.

Without the mistakes of the past, there would be no wisdom for the future.

Posts: 79 | Location: Duncan, NC | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1 - try a 32 grain bullet load
#2 - check the bedding - i've found some kimbers that needed it badly

Posts: 13454 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your runout was bad on these loads then you really can't say much other than it is shooting OK. Re-do the test with loads w/o much runout and get back to us.

Posts: 127 | Location: Central Mn | Registered: 12 January 2008Reply With Quote